Premed 101 Forums

Your Interview GPA (Shaking/Anxiety score)

I don't know that anyone will be able to give you a really meaningful answer to this. People show their nervousness differently, and a really nervous person can still give awesome answers and get in, and a really calm, cool, and collected interviewee can give awful answers and not get in.

Try to stay as calm as you can, and focus on giving an answer that really reflects your personality.

I don't know that anyone will be able to give you a really meaningful answer to this. People show their nervousness differently, and a really nervous person can still give awesome answers and get in, and a really calm, cool, and collected interviewee can give awful answers and not get in.

Try to stay as calm as you can, and focus on giving an answer that really reflects your personality.

No doubt..just asking about how anxious a person was, I realize that doesn't neccesarily dictate how that person did in the overall interview.

Around 3.9. Not because I'm some kind of all-star or anything, but after the stress of my phd comprehensive exam in 2008 (I was so nervous about it that I was actually throwing up), I kind of stopped getting nervous about things. It's like something inside me just snapped, and I used up my allotment of anxiety for the rest of my life.

Also, being nervous is not a bad thing in itself.. It's all about how you respond to the stimuli. When I race, I'm always nervous before, have major butterflies in my stomach and all. But it's necessary to be truly ready as otherwise I'd be too calm. Being *too* calm is not necessary a good thing if it looks like you're falling asleep ;)

I'd say I was feeling around a 2, probably showing around a 3. I was just in a really good mood.

I am always nervous for interviews, presentations etc., but I managed to stay more or less calm. I went to two interviews this year, and I'd give myself a 3.7 for the first one (got in) and a 3.0 for the second one (got in too). People who interviewed me the second time were kind of mean (it was obvious that they were trying to disorient me on purpose, I can PM you some examples :P ) and I had less fun.

Therefore, in my experience, the more fun you have during your MMI, the better you will perform!

Absolutely!! Was your 2nd interview for the French schools? I got really mean interviewers on my 2nd and 3rd stations but it was so obvious they wanted to get me off on purpose ;) The rest was fun even when I had no idea what to say, and I got in.

I did a practice interview with a guy who was so calm and controlled while still not coming across as cocky. The phrase we came up with for his demeanor was 'quiet confidence'. That is what I tried to have before each MMI station/panel.

Astrogirl, you are like my western canada doppleganger. I threw up right before my comps as well (although no one knows that)! They were in 2008 as well. No stressful thing will compare to that day unless CaRMS interviews are 7 examiners in a tiny, hot room grilling me on content for 3 hours.

I have no idea how crazy I was during my interviews. I really can't remember!

Oh man, I had five interviews and all five were about 3.0/4 I would say. I have this terrible forehead sweating that kicks in whenever I am excited or nervous. Thinking about it walking into my interviews was probably far worse on my mental stability than the interview itself. I have a habit of being overly self-conscious about it.

While I did think some of my interviews were definitely better than others, I got offers of admission from all five schools.

Practice makes perfect when it comes to interviews. Practice, practice, practice.

Oh man, I had five interviews and all five were about 3.0/4 I would say. I have this terrible forehead sweating that kicks in whenever I am excited or nervous. Thinking about it walking into my interviews was probably far worse on my mental stability than the interview itself. I have a habit of being overly self-conscious about it.

While I did think some of my interviews were definitely better than others, I got offers of admission from all five schools.

Practice makes perfect when it comes to interviews. Practice, practice, practice.

Self-conscious.. I can relate. I sweat a lot, like really a lot. Comes from a much faster metabolism due to all the training I've done (so yeah I also eat more which is nice). But it's extremely annoying to be sweating when doing nothing or just sitting in class, let alone when I'm nervous or excited! I try to tell myself I'm not the only one, and other people most likely aren't noticing it as much as I think. (or I hope!)

Well, I'd say that I was better than average (I'd have to be since I got in and it seems like at UBC you have to be "above average" in the MMI to get a spot).

So, by default I'd say at least 3/4... but I'm going to lean closer to 3.5-4/4 depending upon the station.

I wasn't nervous about my performance or the things I discussed. I smiled, spoke clearly and felt I was fairly concise and succinct with my responses.

I've always been told that if I could make it to the interview stage I'd be golden. I wasn't shaking or anxious, but the whole day kind of blew by. I think in some way I was on autopilot.

I didn't take part in any MMI prep groups, just had some questions through email that helped me retool and think about how to answer MMI type questions.

I do think that my previous experience with acting helped quite a bit. Nothing quite like auditioning for a part in front of strangers, being filmed and critiqued on your every move while being compared to the dozens of other people they are considering for the role.

Archived