Premed 101 Forums

Kindle vs. Kobo?

EBDOC15

I've had a Kindle for 2 years and love it! I highly recommend it. :) The Kobo is ok but there are more books available for Kindle and overall, I find the Kindle to be well made.

According to Amazon: 773K ebooks are available

According to Kobo: 2.3MM

I have an ipad and my fiance has a kindle. She likes the kindle. She also has an ipad but she typically uses that work for stuff and general browsing.

I've been using a Kindle for the past 7 months... it is very nice, I'd highly recommend it. I did have an issue with the screen freezing/turning blotchy, which apparently is somewhat common (at least according to what I read on the internet). However, their customer service was top notch, and I had a replacement unit within days (expedited shipping at no cost, plus they paid for the return shipping of the defective unit).

The main feature that sold me on buying the Kindle was that you could e-mail 'things' to yourself with it using a piece of software called Calibre and the Kindle's @free.kindle.com e-mail account. Calibre has the ability to turn websites (e.g. newspapers, magazines) into ebooks, e-mail them to your Kindle automatically for free. You can use Calibre with any ebook reader, but the Kindle is the only one that you can e-mail the books to. You can set it up to deliver the daily newspaper to your Kindle, or weekly magazine updates (any magazine that posts its content online... Macleans, Time, etc is supported). It's a nice feature to stock up on free reading material for a road trip/lazy weekend.

Does anybody here use a kobo? I was thinking of getting a kindle since they're now sold by The Source. However, it seems like there's a wider selection of books offered in the epub format, which isn't supported by the kindle.

neither asus eee notepad,

I own the original Kobo- from time to time Best Buy puts the refurbished model on sale for $59.99. It's a steal at that price and I'm loving it so far. It's a tad slow (the newer models are better I hear) but it's dirt cheap and the battery life is good.

I torrented two textbooks (pdf) so it has already paid for itself 3 times over! ;) I have all my science textbooks for next year, and paid a total of $200 instead of $1000+ by going with ebooks, international editions, and used books. I did have a leftover $100 bookstore gift card for letting res. life use my room for room tours over march break though!

Archived