Premed 101 Forums

Personal Statement help

Hi there. it is my very first time writing a personal statment of any sort, and i've been just having a massive headache for a week now....!!!

I don't know where to start. :o

Can anyone help me? How did you start your essay? Can someone maybe share how you structured it? what was your concluding point?! you can tell that i have no idea.

also, the guideline says to avoid things that are already mentioned in other parts in the application... but the rest of the application (which has personal info, acadmeic info and even 15 of non-acadmeic info) describes pretty much all about me... i feel that my essay is going to be redundant :confused:

Ye, the essay is quite tough. If you go to SDN, you can download essays that other people have written. I think you should brainstorm, write a rough draft, tweak it after looking at a few successful statements and then send it to a few people to get their ideas. If I had not sent mine to be looked at by someone else, I probably would have submitted a badly organized statement.

Btw, I already submitted mine early last month and I do not mind reading yours if you need a review.

Hi there. it is my very first time writing a personal statment of any sort, and i've been just having a massive headache for a week now....!!!

I don't know where to start. :o

Can anyone help me? How did you start your essay? Can someone maybe share how you structured it? what was your concluding point?! you can tell that i have no idea.

also, the guideline says to avoid things that are already mentioned in other parts in the application... but the rest of the application (which has personal info, acadmeic info and even 15 of non-acadmeic info) describes pretty much all about me... i feel that my essay is going to be redundant :confused:

This is a good place to start.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=806473

Don't worry too much about redundancy. Most of us will talk about the same experiences in the PS and the 15 activities list. The difference is how you describe it.

A common strategy is to tell a story in your PS, eg a particular interaction with a patient during your hospital volunteering that had a huge influence in your desire to be a doctor. On the other hand, 15 activities info will be more of a resume style description, just explaining what you did. Eg transported patients between wards.

Best of luck!! I spent close to 3 weeks on mine. Its definitely hard and frustrating but keep at it.

Archived