Premed 101 Forums

GPA scale McGill

Guest dogeatdog12

Guest LoveMcGill

Hi guys, I am a MedI at McGill. I went to inquire about the official GPA conversion table. Please note that if your transcript shows grades out of 100%, your GPA will be determined from the percentage grades not from the letter grades. Good luck.

A and A

85 -100

A-

80 - 84

B

75 - 79

B

70 - 74

B-

65 - 69

C

60 - 64

C

55 - 59

D

50 - 54

F (Fail)

0 – 49

Also note that most other schools use different conversions. However, regardless of what school you come from, Mcgill will convert it based on the above conversion scheme.

Guest medicator007

From my recollection of my undergrad at McGill there was no 3.9; such that anything over an 85% gave you a 4.0 .... so to the best of my knowledge the latter of the two formulae is correct.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Makunouchi

Clicking on Help section on "University History" section gives this summary about GPA info.

-----------------------

Graduate Applicants

GPA information:

Educational systems report GPA (Grade Point Average) or standings using different notations. Please enter your cumulative GPA in the following format: e.g. 3.83. The Grade Point Average (GPA) must be reported on a scale of 4.00 or 4.30. Please use the following conversion scale if your average is reported using a different system:

4.30 A+

4.00 A First Class/Excellent

3.70 A-

3.30 B+ Second Class, Upper Division/Very Good

3.00 B Second Class/Assez bien (French system)

2.70 B- Second Class, Lower Division/Passable (French system)(Below Graduate Studies admission requirement)

If your average is reported on a percentage scale, please use the conversion to letter grade used by your university on their transcripts and enter the corresponding GPA.

-----------------------

4.30 or 4.00?

Guest LoveMcGill

Nothing is confusing. See my original post. McGill's Medical School converts all applicants' GPAs according to my original post!!! Out of four. Not any other way (save for the CGAP stream)!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow!

85-100 = 4.0

Thats means that we (Ontarians applying to Ontario schools) would have a higher GPA if we applyed to McGill! I wish Ontario schools were the same. I also wish that there were no restrictions on the number of out-of-province spots in med school at McGill. Aw well. To be an Ontarian!

Tweep

• 1 month later...

LoveMcGill:

Hey, you're the one to solve my big conversion issue!!!!

I'm an international applicant, my grades are in 0-10 scale, I was wondering, will McGill just cut a 0 and make it lets say 8,5 turn into a 85% (i know its ridiculously obvious, but who knows eheh :lol )?

And when you say "I went to inquire about the official GPA conversion table" was that with the McGill admissions office directly?

Looking forward to your answer!

Thank you very much for your help :)

Best,

LuKa

Hi dfens!

When people say: "I went to inquire about the official GPA conversion table" was that with the McGill admissions office directly? I mean, is this conversion openly official??

Thank you very much for your help

Best,

LuKa

• 4 months later...

Hey LoveMcGill,

I was just looking at the OMSAS 2004 Undergraduate Grading System Conversion Table and it states that McGill corresponds to columns 6 and 8, where 6 indicates that 94-100 is a 4.00 and 85-93 is 3.90, and so on. I was just wondering what this means in reference to the scale you have posted; should I disregard this and only consider yours where 85+ = 4.00?... Also, what would be a competative cGPA for someone from Ontario?

Thanks for your help,

RXK

Guest avisee

RXK, I think the OMSAS scale only applies for marks considered by Ontario schools. Since Ontario schools consider marks to be inequivalent at all schools, OMSAS has drafted a complex conversion scale to convert percentages at different institutions, in addition to different marking systems (like the 9 point system and the letter system). The OMSAS scale only works in the one direction, for applicants applying to Ontario schools. So, if a McGill student applies to Ontario schools, their marks will be converted based on that scale.

McGill Medical School has nothing to do with OMSAS, and as such, has nothing to do with its conversion scale. Its medical school has no idea what your OMSAS GPA is, and probably doesn't care, since they use their own conversion system that they deem preferable (I have to agree with them on that one). Thus, a student of any school applying to McGill medical school with be converted by that scale.

As a result, your GPA will very likely be different depending on which school you're referring to. For instance, my OMSAS GPA is 3.53, my McGill CGPA is 3.62, and my Dalhousie GPA is 3.72! This is basically similar the special weighting policies applied by other schools (for instance, Ottawa's WGPA, or Western's Best 2 years). In the end, you'll probably have a different GPA for almost every school you apply to!

Hello Avisee,

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply... I was under the same impression, but a friend of mine had recently convinced me (convinced me enough to ask here:D ) that the OMSAS scale was similar to the scales used by all schools for when determining an applicant's GPA, no matter their residence (province) and the school they had applied to.... guess not.

RXK

Guest LoveMcGill

Avisee’s reply is right on the money. OMSAS scale is unidirectional in only converting GPAs for Ontario schools. To my best knowledge, my original post still holds when applying to McGill Med.

It is very hard to say what stats would make an out of province applicant really compatible. Still, based on my very unscientific survey, most of the out of province students I’ve met had GPA 3.9+ and 34+ MCAT. However, because of the number game, a large number of applicants with even better stats get turned down each year and surely some applicants with stats lower than indicated do get in.

Best of luck.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
LoveMcGill:

I'm an international applicant, my grades are in 0-10 scale, I was wondering, will McGill just cut a 0 and make it lets say 8,5 turn into a 85% (i know its ridiculously obvious, but who knows eheh :lol )?

And when you say "I went to inquire about the official GPA conversion table" was that with the McGill admissions office directly?

Thank you very much for your help :)

Best,

LuKa

I you want to convert your grade to gpa you'll find on McGill website a convert scale depending on your country.

Thank you very much for your help

Best,

LuKa

Hey, I ALSO did an international undergrad.

When I applied to MG med school I was asked to request my home university registrar to submit explanation for each entry in my trascripr and corresponding % scale along with my undegrad diploma and trascript themselves.

I have to add that at the time the scale was changed ( a bit) and my university refused to send the old one; in spite of this refusal MG calculated my "old" GPA with the new scale by converting everything to a minimal %ge grade and then to a corresponding 4.0 scale grade.

Contrary to MG, OMSAS did it the simplest way: because we have 5.0 scale it just substracted 1 and calculated the average regardless of corresponding %.

Finally, my OMSAS GPA is 3.42 and MG is close to 3.90. Needless to say I favour MG way of grades conversion over the OMSAS one. ;)

Archived