Premed 101 Forums

Quebec Residency?

Rawr

Hello! I am a prospective student to McGill university. My parents plan on moving to Quebec for a period of 2-6 months starting in the summer of 2012 (before my 2nd year). Would I be able to use this to my advantage to gain the special residency tuition by Situation 5: One of your parents or your sponsor has his or her main residence in Quebec?

And after second year, Situation 11: You have continued to reside in Quebec even though your parents or sponsor no longer reside here.

Many Thanks! :)

I thought you had to live there for a year. Anyways, the best people to ask are the staff at McGill, but last year when I asked they just referred me to the form.

Generally, they would say that the best proof of being a Quebec resident was the Quebec health card. So get that, and you should be good - but again, confirm with the staff at McGill (or another institution in Quebec)

I believe your parents has to live there for atleast a year (or have a yearly contract) in order for it to work. In addition, your parents would have to provide quite a few pieces of proof (Quebec Phone Bill, Quebec lease - which is mostly signed yearly, etc). I'm not sure a few months would fly. But like the rest said, give em a call

No a few months is NOT enough.

Quebec is really hard on students wanting to get residency.

Your parents must have been residing for at least a year (which can be shown through a Quebec Lease form signed by YOUR parents + monthly bills sent to YOUR parents).

BUT if you want to get residency status without your parents actually living there, you should make your parents sign and pay all of your rents, bills and etc (to make it look like they live with you).

Then, they would think your parents moved here to stay and work so would give you quebec residency status (I know a couple of friends who did that)

OR, you could just take a year off and get a job and get an apartment for yourself.

BUT if you want to get residency status without your parents actually living there, you should make your parents sign and pay all of your rents, bills and etc (to make it look like they live with you).

Then, they would think your parents moved here to stay and work so would give you quebec residency status (I know a couple of friends who did that).

This is illegal...I would not recommend it, I believe this "proof" must be accompanied by a sworn statement.

You can work a year not attending school (full-time) or marry a nice Quebec girl/guy.

Archived