Premed 101 Forums

Days of Prep

Dr24

I have heard of people studying two weeks for the MCAT and getting 30+. They all have very strong science backgrounds though.

I'd say this is key. Certainly there are people who can get 30+ without even studying at all, but their background in science has to be strong and they need to be good at standardized tests. I know someone who got 30 without studying; took the MCAT right after finishing prereqs though.

Your main consideration shouldn't be the days of prep, rather the hours that have been spread over those days. A person studying for 2 hours a day for 90 days could possibly not do as well as someone studying 12 good hours a day (echoing the point raised by CaptainCrunchMan) for 3 weeks, as evidenced by the biomedical engineering student who scored 42S.

This also raises a point about who the test taker is. Some people are quite capable of heavy study sessions like the 42S engineering student or the 15/11/15 guy on another forum who studied around 15 hours/day for two months (taking copious breaks of course). It will also depend on the mindset of the individual as well as other external events taking place in his/her life like work or research. Not everyone will have ideal environments where they can drop all other commitments to focus a great deal of their energy on studying.

I feel that if you are truly committed and passionate, you can very well score a 42S after 3-5 weeks of intense studying. And if you fall short of that goal, you may still be pleased with a 38 or 39. Stay positive, there may be people rooting for you who you might not be aware of.

Alright thanks you all. I started studying at about 50 days. I'm writing at the end of august and studying 10-12hours a day. I'm writing at the end of august, i'm getting through the material at a good pace since i already know most of it. The biggest challenge will be the verbal, but practice makes perfect. Again Thanks. These forums have really given me some good tips on how to use my time efficiently. :)

I was just wondering,what are the least amount of days someone prepared for the mcat (1st time writing) and still got a 30+ score???

I studied for just over 3 weeks, about 24-25 days while working full time in the lab, tutoring, and boxing four nights a week. Got at most 2 hrs per day during the week and about 6 per day on the weekends.

Scored a 35. I am taking honours chemistry with all the biology prereqs (intro, cell, micro, anat and phys, etc) and just finished second year, so all of the information was quite recent.

However, I think that if I had given myself 2 months or so, even while working, I would have been able to score 38ish. So 50 days is probably a good number :)

I studied for just over 3 weeks, about 24-25 days while working full time in the lab, tutoring, and boxing four nights a week. Got at most 2 hrs per day during the week and about 6 per day on the weekends.

Scored a 35. I am taking honours chemistry with all the biology prereqs (intro, cell, micro, anat and phys, etc) and just finished second year, so all of the information was quite recent.

However, I think that if I had given myself 2 months or so, even while working, I would have been able to score 38ish. So 50 days is probably a good number :)

You give me hope :) Btw what prep books did you use?

You give me hope :) Btw what prep books did you use?

EK for everything except the chemistry (which I didn't bother studying cause the MCAT chem is mostly basic principles and they have been VERY well covered in my degree since I'm majoring in chem lol)

The EK 101 passages in verbal reasoning was a great supplement to the EK verbal study book. Also did a few questions from the EK 1001 physics questions but didnt find that to be a huge help (mainly cause I didnt take the time to do all of the questions on the harder stuff)

Biggest thing for me was the AAMC practice tests. I learn from working on questions, so that was clutch for me. I did tests 3-11 and saw all of my scores range between 33-38, so they were also a pretty good predictor.

Post back if you have any questions!

PS there are ppl on here that have WAY more experience than I do, but I'll offer whatever tips and advice I can :)

Archived