Premed 101 Forums

EM in the US and coming back to Canada

I always assumed that if you wish to practice in Canada after a residency in the US it has to be the same amount of years. However I was told that is not the case for EM in Canada by a EM resident.

I'm still hesitant to believe that person as I can't find that information anywhere on the web.

EM is one of the few specialties that is completely transferrable between Canada and the US. Some US programs are 3, others are 4 years. In Canada, CCFP-EM is 3 years (but 2 is FM), and the RC program is 5. Thus, the training standards aren't even uniform in Canada.

EM is one of the few specialties that is completely transferrable between Canada and the US. Some US programs are 3, others are 4 years. In Canada, CCFP-EM is 3 years (but 2 is FM), and the RC program is 5. Thus, the training standards aren't even uniform in Canada.

Wait, completely transferable? You mean if you did an EM residency in the states there are no loopholes you have to jump through to come back to Canada?

Well, it certainly holds in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. I know US trained EM doc's working in both provinces without restriction. They didn't have any residency-training related hassle coming to Canada.

I do not know if it would be province dependent, either, as the Royal College is the one that determines if your training is valid, and this is a national organization.

Well in BC, the College requires you to have either a CCFP (or CCFPEM) or RCPSC certification to be registered. It used to be that you could register with 2 years of appropriate clinical training but this is no longer the case. Thus, it all comes down to challenging the appropriate exam for the RC or CCFP. US trained family docs, if they pass the American FP exams, can apply to get the CCFP designation which would satisfy the BC College requirements. Not sure about emerg though.

Archived