Premed 101 Forums

ECs - only undergrad ones?

hi everyone

i was looking through the OMSAS booklet and it says in the UOttawa section that only ECs you completed during your undergrad degree can be put on your sketch.

i am a graduate student and have had some long term ECs which started before my undergrad and i have substantial stuff during grad school as well. i was looking through some of the accepted stats and people did mention that they had good ECs etc during grad school, so does this mean you can talk about your accomplishments in grad school during your interview, even if you did not put it on your sketch?

thank you :)

Hey there,

Going to the interview, I thought the same thing about the ECs, that they will only look at the ones I did in undergrad. However, from what I remember, they actually look at all your file (this includes ECs in highschool, undergrad,grad, post-grad,etc..). Everything is fair game although I think they might weigh undergrad ECs a bit more. It is truly up to you to decide which ECs to include. I think its always best to include ECs that you gained experience from and that you enjoyed because at the end of the day, it is those ECs that you can use most comfortably to sell yourself. Commitment, diversity and personal growth experiences go a long way. I don't think it matters when you did your ECs. Whether you did something great at 17 or at 35, what matters is that it was a great experience for you, regardless of the time frame. Also, once you get the interview, make sure you know your sketch really well because for all you know, they can ask you a question about something you did when you were 16!

Hope that helps

-Good luck

Archived