Premed 101 Forums

How to start as an undergraduate

gameg2l

Hi everyone, this is my first post in this forum:p I'm a student going into second year. I'm not sure what I want to become, so I am just trying everything lol. I will be sticking around often. I'm sure this will help me a lot. Hopefully I can make some friends on here XD...

So, I've recently been going through what everyone else' been doing for EC. I used to think that research opportunities are not available for lower year students. Now that I know it's not true, I really want to try research!

I know that many people on the forum suggest that I should start emailing the prof by now before positions fill up. I have a huge problem - my family planned a vacation for the next 15 days or so (meaning I won't be back till mid August). Should I email them now before I go and meet with them after? Should I e-mail many profs or just stick to a few that seemed open to students (I have broad interest, so many prof are researching stuff I am interested)

Other thing, I looked up a few prof's research and checked their publications, etc. I just don't know what I am supposed to write in the e-mail to increase the chance of meeting them? (boost their ego by praising, showing my passion, and noting some questions?)

Last thing, any prof in UBC that you might suggest? (I really think it is important to find a mentor instead of just a supervisor)

That was long... Thank you so much :)

Hey G,

First off, welcome to the forum. :) It's a great resource and I'm glad you found it. Now straight to business.

I have a huge problem - my family planned a vacation for the next 15 days or so (meaning I won't be back till mid August). Should I email them now before I go and meet with them after?

Sure, I don't see the problem with this. You can email them now and tell them that you will be available to volunteer after your arrival (e.g. Aug 15th and onwards).

Should I e-mail many profs or just stick to a few that seemed open to students (I have broad interest, so many prof are researching stuff I am interested)

Why not email profs whose work you find most interesting to you now (or who seem open to students) and email the rest when you come back if you do not hear a reply?

Other thing, I looked up a few prof's research and checked their publications, etc. I just don't know what I am supposed to write in the e-mail to increase the chance of meeting them? (boost their ego by praising, showing my passion, and noting some questions?)

I'm PMing you about this.

Regarding last question in your post, I don't go to UBC so unfortunately I can't help you out with this.

Hope this helps :)

When I wanted to have my first research experience, I found a prof who's articles were interesting to me, read a few and wrote to him saying I found his recent articles interesting and was wondering if I could volunteer in his lab. He agreed right away and after 2 weeks of volunteering, offered me a paid job. I only had to contact the one prof, I think he did ask for my cv and transcript though. Maybe I was lucky, but if it's someone with an active lab, he/she probably needs all the free help they can get.

I think it's probably better to not email a whole bunch at a time, because then it might be a bit annoying if you have to come back on your decision and refuse to work in their lab once they accept. Not a huge deal though, just a bit annoying. Of course if you're looking to start with a paid position, you may have to get in touch with more profs.

Hi G,

I think the fact that you're already interested in research is going to be a good thing for you in the long run.

First of, don't focus too much on emails in trying to get professors' attention. Most of them are overloaded with emails and already have enough of a hard time trying to answer all of them. The best thing for you would be to knock on doors. Don't be shy! Find the office hours and go... or just stop by.

Second, if you don't know precisely what area of research you're interested in, don't worry to much. Profs don't expect undergrads to have a research proposal in hand before they put foot in their lab. Remember that you'd be there to learn... cause yeah, when you start, you know... nothing! Find a general area of science that you think might interest you, then give it a shot! You have nothing to loose and everything to learn. So go around a department, send emails if you want, knock on doors and get yourself known.

Third, in terms of when you should start meeting profs, remember that volunteering in a lab (or even getting a part time job) is not like taking a class, you don't have to register and start at a specific date. It really depends on the group you want to work for and the space and graduate student availability in the lab. Any time of the year is possible (unless you're looking for an honors project, which usually starts at the beginning of a session). However, from my experience, it always has been easier for UGs to start during the spring/summer session simply because graduate students don't have to TA and can focus on training their undergrad.

good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for all of your replies :)

I gathered the courage and do just as everyone of you said --- I searched up some science research projects and networks

Then I contacted a prof on the network list who is affiliated with my school

All went well, so I will be volunteering at a lab starting this September!

Might even get to be on a publication if I am lucky enough! Thanks for everyone's kind advice!

Hi, thanks for all of your replies :)

I gathered the courage and do just as everyone of you said --- I searched up some science research projects and networks

Then I contacted a prof on the network list who is affiliated with my school

All went well, so I will be volunteering at a lab starting this September!

Might even get to be on a publication if I am lucky enough! Thanks for everyone's kind advice!

Awesome to hear!

Archived