Premed 101 Forums

Volunteering/working abroad recommendations

This thread has been done, I am aware but I want to create a new one to hear updated responses.

I'm interested in doing SOMETHING abroad, preferably something somewhat cheap. Does anybody have any GOOD agencies or companies that work in groups (don't want my first time being completely solo just yet) that you would recommend? Maybe a friend of a friend?

I'll try to bump this every so often because I know more people lurk during school year and I really do need the recommendations. It's always better to hear someones personal experiences I find, rather than some random google search.

I've never done international volunteering myself but my friend's cousin was the host of World Vision on TVA for a while and her father would also go on the shows sometimes. From what she's told me the funds received do go to people in need..

I was reading the newspaper today and I saw an add saying that all funds received by World Vision are matched by the federal government so they must need people on site to deliver that help...If not, maybe look into the Red Cross or Doctor's Without Borders?

Should you change your mind about volunteering in Canada Katimavik looks very interesting.

I hope you find what you are looking for :)

+1. Why go international when there are so many communities, right here in Canada, that need help? You can even learn a new language and experience a new culture.

Because I have a huge desire to travel lol, and I figure if I can start now, what's stopping me?

Because I have a huge desire to travel lol, and I figure if I can start now, what's stopping me?

It's cool if you want to travel and all, but don't act like you're actually making a difference in a community abroad. I doubt you will be there enough time or be of enough use to make a discernible impact. If you want to travel, go travel. If you want to volunteer, do so in Canada.

Sorry, just one of my big pet peeves.

i understand the need for travelling...anywhere! why not check out

WWOOF..(world wide op's on organic farms?) i know several people who have done that, it's like a work exchange, you are helping out on a farm, learning about growing food, eating the food, meeting new people...

u can basically pick where in the world u want to go, also right here in Canada.

i did something similar in B.C, building an eco friendly house...really hard work, but learned a ton, got amazing food, housing, friendship, health workshops, hot tubs and $25/week for 3 months....

It's cool if you want to travel and all, but don't act like you're actually making a difference in a community abroad. I doubt you will be there enough time or be of enough use to make a discernible impact. If you want to travel, go travel. If you want to volunteer, do so in Canada.

Sorry, just one of my big pet peeves.

What a nice attitude.

I'm not "acting" anything, I want to go to a new country, I want to experience a new country (since I've only been to 2 countries ever) and if I can volunteer or even work there, it'd be a bonus, since I don't think I can go there on my own and just sightsee all day, I'd like to be part of something.

Does this make sense?

i understand the need for travelling...anywhere! why not check out

WWOOF..(world wide op's on organic farms?) i know several people who have done that, it's like a work exchange, you are helping out on a farm, learning about growing food, eating the food, meeting new people...

u can basically pick where in the world u want to go, also right here in Canada.

i did something similar in B.C, building an eco friendly house...really hard work, but learned a ton, got amazing food, housing, friendship, health workshops, hot tubs and $25/week for 3 months....

See it's little things like this I'd like to know about haha. I mean, I read up on alot of things online but I never know how organized/legit they really are and it's kind of a big deal to me, especially since my goal is to be flying to a new country lol!

PS Howd you go about doing the thing in BC? It sounds really fun

If you look around, you'll find ways to help out in communities near you.

e.g. even in Toronto there are neighbourhoods that need so much improvements in community. I know an organization that provides free painting/molding/rebuilding services to people who live in poor neighbourhoods.

Just to add to future_doc's recommendation, I've done several trips during the summer at a large native reserve in northern ontario and helped run summer camps for kids. It actually helped me a lot in med school interviews (especially MMI's) where I had to draw out my experience with diverse populations in Canada.

For me, it was a good financial substitute to traveling abroad because i was able to experience a side of Canada that many Canadians aren't even aware of or neglect (a new culture) without much financial pressure.

I'm not against traveling abroad, in fact I LOVE travelling to different countries.

But what I'm trying to say is have an open mind and look for other options that may be less financially demanding but deliver a similar experience or better.

If you want an internship abroad and you're an undergrad at an university, why not try AIESEC?

;) hope you the best

If you look around, you'll find ways to help out in communities near you.

e.g. even in Toronto there are neighbourhoods that need so much improvements in community. I know an organization that provides free painting/molding/rebuilding services to people who live in poor neighbourhoods.

Just to add to future_doc's recommendation, I've done several trips during the summer at a large native reserve in northern ontario and helped run summer camps for kids. It actually helped me a lot in med school interviews (especially MMI's) where I had to draw out my experience with diverse populations in Canada.

For me, it was a good financial substitute to traveling abroad because i was able to experience a side of Canada that many Canadians aren't even aware of or neglect (a new culture) without much financial pressure.

I'm not against traveling abroad, in fact I LOVE travelling to different countries.

But what I'm trying to say is have an open mind and look for other options that may be less financially demanding but deliver a similar experience or better.

If you want an internship abroad and you're an undergrad at an university, why not try AIESEC?

;) hope you the best

I'm definitely not dismissing the fact that Canada has a whole lot to offer and then some, lol but I'm just saying, I'd love to travel to a new country (who wouldn't right?) and before I decide I can't do it because of x and y reasons, and have to find a plan B (which would very likely be Canada), I'd like to know my options for travelling abroad first.

What about doing a semester abroad? You'd be with lots of other students so the social aspect is there, and you could volunteer/work on the side :) And if you want to experience a third world country, just go to Mexico or South America instead of Europe/Aus.

I was thinking of doing this but I dont want my GPA to suffer.. But I've heard of people taking summer courses in differrnt countries, so that sounds pretty cool. But if I'm in another country I still want to be doing something and helping something, keeping busy. Whether it be volunteering or research or internships, whatever.

What a nice attitude.

I'm not "acting" anything, I want to go to a new country, I want to experience a new country (since I've only been to 2 countries ever) and if I can volunteer or even work there, it'd be a bonus, since I don't think I can go there on my own and just sightsee all day, I'd like to be part of something.

Does this make sense?

Don't let others opinions get you down. There is nothing wrong with wanting to go abroad to do volunteering. The same issues will face you whether it be volunteering abroad or at remote community in Canada or even in an unfamiliar community in the city (the inner city). We don't always know what is best in terms of needs.. but a large part of doing this kind of stuff is about learning so that you can be better equipped in the future should you choose to continue this kind of work with a specific population. No one can claim they know how to do a new job in a new place just straight off the bat but that's okay... we all learn eventually.

Nevermind working in a different country... even when changing hospitals working as a doc, it takes time to learn about the specific diseases and population that are more prevalent there.

Plus, like you said it is a great way to see the world and learn about culture and people in an everyday kind of way. A good experience for you and I'm sure a great experience for those you meet and work with as well. A little site seeing with excursions on time off can't be bad either. I like adventure sports and on my time off, I definitely try get some of that in as well.

Lastly, there is a sense of adventure and novelty in working in some place completely new and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just your preference.

I personally love travelling.. and have done quite a bit during my undergrad, medschool and residency. But I've also had the opportunity to do some electives/ volunteering abroad. I can say that each time I learn something new that hopefully gives me a slightly better perspective.

What a nice attitude.

Does this make sense?

Don't let others opinions get you down. There is nothing wrong with wanting to go abroad to do volunteering. The same issues will face you whether it be volunteering abroad or at remote community in Canada or even in an unfamiliar community in the city (the inner city). We don't always know what is best in terms of needs.. but a large part of doing this kind of stuff is about learning so that you can be better equipped in the future should you choose to continue this kind of work with a specific population. No one can claim they know how to do a new job in a new place just straight off the bat but that's okay... we all learn eventually.

Nevermind working in a different country... even when changing hospitals working as a doc, it takes time to learn about the specific diseases and population that are more prevalent there.

Plus, like you said it is a great way to see the world and learn about culture and people in an everyday kind of way. A good experience for you and I'm sure a great experience for those you meet and work with as well. A little site seeing with excursions on time off can't be bad either. I like adventure sports and on my time off, I definitely try get some of that in as well.

Lastly, there is a sense of adventure and novelty in working in some place completely new and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just your preference.

I personally love travelling.. and have done quite a bit during my undergrad, medschool and residency. But I've also had the opportunity to do some electives/ volunteering abroad. I can say that each time I learn something new that hopefully gives me a slightly better perspective.

That's EXACTLY what I mean and you phrased it nicely lol. Thanks old dude, nice to know someone gets it! haha.

I want to do something like this every summer, I wish I had started sooner!

By the way next time someone busts your balls about going somewhere else to volunteer...and that its not enough time etc etc. tell them you're curious how many years they've been slugging away there in the trenches in Angola.

PS: Going during the summer months is a perfect time because it'll at least give you a good 2-3 months to get some solid experience. Sometimes it takes some time just to warm up.

Good luck with your travels! Start planning early

Archived