Premed 101 Forums

percentages to GPA

thanks guys. Looking at the manual, they have conversion from % to GPA scale as well as a Letter Grade to GPA scale. At UBC we get both Letter grade and %... I wonder which they will use.

I'm hoping for the Letter Grade to GPA scale cause the % to GPA scale is killer...

Sorry mate, I went to UBC too and was irritated to find out that if your transcript states a letter grade and a percentage grade then they use the percentage grade for GPA conversion. Sucks when you rock an A with an 85% then find out that UofC only considers that a 3.7.

So I dropped 0.25 between my OMSAS GPA and my U of C GPA. That's a pretty rough fall, not going to lie. This scale is horridly unfair.

I find it pretty fair...since it's the UofC med school, it's tailored to accommodate UofC students who apply and our grading system is one of the tougher ones out there. For UofC, a grade of A+ usually means a percentage of 95 or higher...for some classes it's 97 or higher. A grade of B+ for us is usually around 81-86%. For other schools, A+ is anything above 90 and a B+ is between 76-79. So it doesn't make sense to use the Ontario grading system for the UofC system.

I find it pretty fair...since it's the UofC med school, it's tailored to accommodate UofC students who apply and our grading system is one of the tougher ones out there. For UofC, a grade of A+ usually means a percentage of 95 or higher...for some classes it's 97 or higher. A grade of B+ for us is usually around 81-86%. For other schools, A+ is anything above 90 and a B+ is between 76-79. So it doesn't make sense to use the Ontario grading system for the UofC system.

I agree. As well, at UofC an A and A+ has the same weighting for a 4.0 GPA whereas other schools (such as using OSMAS grading) does not. Therefore, students from here get a lower GPA using that system rather than the one here. It all balances out eventually.

So I dropped 0.25 between my OMSAS GPA and my U of C GPA. That's a pretty rough fall, not going to lie. This scale is horridly unfair.

Scale is unfair to everyone (or at least most), thus is becomes fair.

Don't look at your GPA alone... my cGPA is really low using the UofC scale, but my academic score was pretty damn good compared to other friends and such.

People please don't bring up the whole "it's easier to get an A at your school than my school" argument. An A is an A is an A. At UBC that happens to correspond to a lower percentage grade than at UofC, but that's likely because they arbitrarily moved the grade distribution a few percentage points lower. It's not a reflection of the quality of your grade. Sorry, but it's simply not fair to penalize a UBC student because they have both a percentage grade and a letter grade written on their transcript. The system can only hurt people with both letter and percentage grades on their transcript, it can never help them. In that respect I don't see how it ever balances out...

Yeah, I can't see how the conversion isn't disadvantageous to someone who has both letter grades and percentages on their transcript. If I were competing against someone who had the same letter grades as me for pretty much any other school in Canada, we'd have the same GPA, but if both of us applied to University of Calgary and his GPA was 3.8 because his school only uses letter grades, whereas I was a consistent 80%er, then my GPA would be 3.5.

Basically, the conversion chart is disadvantageous to applicants with percentages on their transcript. Maybe in the future Calgary will update their conversion chart like UBC did this year.

People please don't bring up the whole "it's easier to get an A at your school than my school" argument. An A is an A is an A. At UBC that happens to correspond to a lower percentage grade than at UofC, but that's likely because they arbitrarily moved the grade distribution a few percentage points lower. It's not a reflection of the quality of your grade. Sorry, but it's simply not fair to penalize a UBC student because they have both a percentage grade and a letter grade written on their transcript. The system can only hurt people with both letter and percentage grades on their transcript, it can never help them. In that respect I don't see how it ever balances out...

I actually agree with this. A is usually the top x% of a class. At my institution, we re-weight the class accordingly - up OR down depending on how many people are at that level.

That being said, I also agree with one of the previous posters who said that the scale is rough on everyone. I buy that argument as well.

I'm just disgruntled, but whatever, as long as you make the 3.6 cut-off... I'm glad I'm not the only one a tad disappointed however... :)

• 1 month later...

I have 4 years in total, and I dropped my lowest average.

Do I take the average of those 3 years?

say i have 80%, 83%, 88% then do i go look at the chart on page 16.

Convert each year to GPA and then divide by 3?

If so, i only have 3.5 and am unqualified as OOP :(

I believe that you need to convert each grade individually, then get your average from each year from that.

is this the correct way to do it:

if i have 80%, i look at the table to convert % to GPA.

i do that for each of the courses, then divide by # of courses?

Or do the credits come in play too?

Thanks

Archived