Premed 101 Forums

Semester Hours Discrepancy?

Hi Everyone,

Since AMCAS specifies to : "Indicate your credit hours or units EXACTLY as they appear on your transcript even though the field does not have a red asterisk (*)", I entered one semester courses with lab as 3 hours (since this is what appears on my official transcript).

My application was recently verified, and I noticed that all of my courses with lab are still showing up as 3 hours. From what I can see, there is no way for schools to recognize any of my courses with a lab component.

Is this a problem? Has this happened to anyone else?

I understand there have been many posts about this in the past, however, the overall consensus on the subject seems to vary.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for the help :)

AMCAS can only verify what they have in their possession: ie. transcript. If your transcript says 3 hrs, you entered 3 hrs, then AMCAS will verify it as 3 hrs and it will show up that way on your profile. If you did everything properly according to instructions and indicated that your courses was for example, "Chemistry XXX with Lab" before you submitted your primary, then it is indicated that Lab was also taken. If AMCAS wants to go further to verify the course actually is Lec + Lab, all the power to them. Hours have little bearing on the overall.

AMCAS can only verify what they have in their possession: ie. transcript. If your transcript says 3 hrs, you entered 3 hrs, then AMCAS will verify it as 3 hrs and it will show up that way on your profile. If you did everything properly according to instructions and indicated that your courses was for example, "Chemistry XXX with Lab" before you submitted your primary, then it is indicated that Lab was also taken. If AMCAS wants to go further to verify the course actually is Lec + Lab, all the power to them. Hours have little bearing on the overall.

Thanks Keith. Greatly appreciated.

By "indicated that your course was Chemistry XXX with Lab" do you mean, checked the "with lab box" at the bottom of the course entry form? If so, than yes I did indicate this...just thought the fact that I checked this would appear somewhere, somehow on my AMCAS Report :S.

Thanks again.

I graduated from UWO last year and currently attend a u.s. med school

What i did with my transcript stuff on AMCAS was very straightforward, a full year course was worth 6 semester hours, if it was a half year course than 3 semester hours.

In other words:

1.0 credit (full year) = 6 semester hours

0.5 credit (half year) = 3semester hours

summer course if 0.5 credit = 3 semester hours

summer course if 1.0 credit = 6 semester hours

Hope this helps UWO students.

Archived