Premed 101 Forums

I need your help please !

Hello,

Im a medical student doing general medicine and i wanted to know if i am expected to do internship before doing my specialization ?I hear a lot of things where i am and i would appreciate it if someone will give me an insight of what im expected to do chronologically after finishing my 6th year of med school.waiting to hear from you all .

Thank you for the reply ,i know i joined cause i plan to continue my studies in canada so wanted to know an info about it ahead of time

I am quite ignorant about this topic, but I believe that if you are interested in medicine in Canada, you will be obliged to start over by applying to medical school like the rest of us - that is to say, I believe your credentials will not be recognized here.

I know a gentleman in Canada who obtained his medical degree in the former USSR, I am not sure if it was the Ukraine or Russia, and he is a massage therapist as it was impossible for him to practice medicine here. He needed to make a living to support his family and this is his reality.

Please, if you are contemplating coming to Canada with a view to practicing medicine, do a detailed due diligence study first, so that you do not waste your time and effort that may lead to a dead end.

Moreover, gaining acceptance into a Canadian medical school is extremely difficult and competitive for worthy candidates being educated here in Canada. There are far more excellent applicants every year than there are seats in medical school; as a result, numerous worthy candidate who receive interviews do not receive acceptances and many apply year after year. You may have to go to undergraduate school first and you will need to write the MCAT which is exceedingly difficult for anybody whose native language is not English (and it is difficult for us, taking months of preparation.

I just want you to be aware of the tremendous obstacles in your path to become a physician in Canada. Additionally, the cost of medical school is prohibitive (about $100,000 per year in tuition alone) for an international student - so it woulod only make sense if you were a Permanent Resident of Canada or a citizen.

Archived