Premed 101 Forums

Possible to Do Well With Only One Month of Study?

ecobeco

I got a big problem right now I'm going into second year and I will be taking Orgo I and Music May-June next summer and and Orgo II June-July. I will have about 3 weeks of free time to study for the MCAT next summer...is this even possible? Or should I try to do some research during the summer and write my MCAT summer of third year? I don't know how I will be able to manage school and studying for this...

3 weeks is pushing it, but it all depends on how much you know already and what your study habits are like. I probably wouldn't want to waste 3 weeks only to get a potentially mediocre score, but worst case scenario is that you get a score lower than what you expected and you wasted 3 weeks. There's always time in the summer after 3rd year when most people in Canada take their MCAT.

I guess it depends on what type of student you are. Some students study all the time when they take a course and others (such as myself) study the night before and cram it all in. I wrote the MCAT more than once, because my 1st score expired (more than 5 years). I had studied probably a week for that and it was just ok in the end. This is when I was still in my undergrad (just after 2nd year) and everything was still fresh in mind. 6 years later I wrote the mcat again, but this time I was in grad school and I had virtually forgotten everything about physical sciences. I studied 3 weeks intensely and I scored better than I did before. So it is definitely possible to do it... I recommend doing a lot of practice and making sure you don't run out of time!

I guess it depends on what type of student you are. Some students study all the time when they take a course and others (such as myself) study the night before and cram it all in. I wrote the MCAT more than once, because my 1st score expired (more than 5 years). I had studied probably a week for that and it was just ok in the end. This is when I was still in my undergrad (just after 2nd year) and everything was still fresh in mind. 6 years later I wrote the mcat again, but this time I was in grad school and I had virtually forgotten everything about physical sciences. I studied 3 weeks intensely and I scored better than I did before. So it is definitely possible to do it... I recommend doing a lot of practice and making sure you don't run out of time!

Totally possible if you are strong in all of the sciences to begin with. You can definitely score 30+ in three weeks, I did for a 35 and I know someone who did for a 38, however, if you don't have a good grasp to begin with it might not be worth it. Even if you do well in 3 weeks you will most likely still wish you had put 2 months into and gotten the best score you could have!

Archived