Premed 101 Forums

Publications

Lost&Found

Hey everyone,

I've had short stories published in small books (i.e. Chicken Soup) and on websites. They are totally unrelated to med or science in general. Would that count as a publication for med school? --> Basically, would fictional publications count towards med school apps?

Also, I would like to get published in a scientific capacity (as would many of the other people on this forum). I have a research position lined up for the coming school year. Any suggestions on how to approach my research so that it ultimately results in a publication?

Thanks!

~L&F

Hey everyone,

I've had short stories published in small books (i.e. Chicken Soup) and on websites. They are totally unrelated to med or science in general. Would that count as a publication for med school? --> Basically, would fictional publications count towards med school apps?

Also, I would like to get published in a scientific capacity (as would many of the other people on this forum). I have a research position lined up for the coming school year. Any suggestions on how to approach my research so that it ultimately results in a publication?

Thanks!

~L&F

Talk with the professor and see if you can begin work on a project that has already been started by previous students. I got a research job with one of the organic prof's here at Acadia during first year and was able to do continuing work on a previous students honours project. This ended up with us (the prof, the previous student, and myself) having the project completed and published by the end of my first semester of second year :)

Since then, I have been working with the same prof on another project that it almost entirely mine (another student poked at it, did maybe 20% of the work that needed to be done) and we have that close to being publishable now too (end of my second year summer) sadly, he is going on sabbatical next year and so we may not be able to finish it till my third summer which will be difficult during my honours work as well...

Anyway, I would suggest getting on a project that is fairly well developed to start out with, after you do some solid work on that and get your first publication, hopefully within a year of starting, I would try to tackle a project that is more your own so that you can *possibly* get first author on it :)

Archived