Premed 101 Forums

Research in your first year

newmedcraze

Hey,

Is it possible to get involved in research (paid/volunteer position) in your first year? I am really inquisitive and trying to get involved in research because I think this is something I would love to do in future. I'm not doing it only for enhancing my med school application. So can anyone tell me how to get started? I am doing my undergard in Biomedical Sciences (Health Sciences) @ U of C.:D

Yes it is totally doable to get a research position in first year. I received two research positions this past year for the summer, one was a payed position and the other volunteer (paid, but so little as to be considered volunteer).

Professors/ Supervisors will be hesitant to allow a first year in their research group. And you won't be doing anything spectacular like curing cancer or anything. The trick is to start sending e-mails to profs in the winter time -just after the Christmas break. Tell them about yourself, and let them know you are interested in their research (give some evidence that you are actually interested) and you are inquiring about a summer position. State that you are willing to volunteer if no payed positions are available. Attach your resume and grades from the fall semester to your email.

There is no guarantee that you will get a position, in fact i e-mailed several profs and only one replied. I subsequently got my second position through recommendations of the first prof. Be persistent, but not annoying. If all else fails, there is always second year.

Cheers,

ABS:o

PI = Principal Investigator = Supervisor

I also got a clinical one in first year. And I agree with what is said above you really gotta go looking and expect a few denials.

Yes. Maybe even more than a few. I contacted maybe 30 PIs and most of them didn't even respond. Some responded with buttery language ("We want to go in another direction") and after a month or two only one replied with an interview offer.

As already stated: paid position is hard/unlikely, but that doesn't equal impossible.

I would add that volunteer position is the exact opposite. Supervisors love free henchman and this can give you the experience/reference you need to get that position some other time.

So in short, shoot for the moon and if you miss you'll land in the stars (cheezey I know...)

As already stated: paid position is hard/unlikely, but that doesn't equal impossible.

I would add that volunteer position is the exact opposite. Supervisors love free henchman and this can give you the experience/reference you need to get that position some other time.

So in short, shoot for the moon and if you miss you'll land in the stars (cheezey I know...)

If you secure a volunteer position during the year, this can turn into a paid position in the summer if you put yourself out there and work hard.

If you secure a volunteer position during the year, this can turn into a paid position in the summer if you put yourself out there and work hard.

Exactly this is what I did, I worked alot in the volunteer position which allowed me to get a paid job.

+1 to looking for a volunteer position, but I'm going to mention one more thing.

Try not to commit to too much in your first year. Maybe wait until January before looking into research, so you can determine exactly what kind of workload university is going to be for you.

I also agree with this. Uni can be overwhelming and marks are the most important thing for med schools in Canada so make sure that if you do take research it wont impact your grades.

Archived