Premed 101 Forums

Medical Experience for Non-Trads

Thought to start up a thread of useful medical opportunities that are accessible to non-trads who may/may not be in uni.

To start off, St. John Ambulance runs a fantastic program to train volunteers to become medical first responders. So far, I've learned how to take a blood pressure reading using a stethoscope and pressure cuff, how to deal with stroke heart attacks and a few other conditions. I can't wait to be out an event. All you need to join is a valid First Aid Certificate from any of the major providers.

Additionally, not sure how hospitals are in other cities but where I am at, one must attend an orientation session before starting. Thus, I applied to volunteer three months ago and will be attending an orientation session this month. The take away message is the earlier you act with hospitals, the better!

Thought to start up a thread of useful medical opportunities that are accessible to non-trads who may/may not be in uni.

To start off, St. John Ambulance runs a fantastic program to train volunteers to become medical first responders. So far, I've learned how to take a blood pressure reading using a stethoscope and pressure cuff, how to deal with stroke heart attacks and a few other conditions. I can't wait to be out an event. All you need to join is a valid First Aid Certificate from any of the major providers.

Additionally, not sure how hospitals are in other cities but where I am at, one must attend an orientation session before starting. Thus, I applied to volunteer three months ago and will be attending an orientation session this month. The take away message is the earlier you act with hospitals, the better!

Good idea for a thread, and I hope my comments don't derail it.

I had great experiences with St John before med school. Also had some really crappy experiences during med school in a different city. Currently not active with the Brigade but thinking of coming back now that I'm through most of the super-intense parts of my residency and have moved again.

The training is solid, most of the people are in it for the right reasons, you can experience a lot and it looks great on a med school application. The things I did with SJA indubitably played a big part in me getting into med school and if I had to do it all over again I'd do it all over again. :)

The problem with St John (and volunteer organizations in general) is summed up in what somebody told me when I started: "Some of the people in St John need the Brigade more than the Brigade needs them". I won't expand on that any further in a public forum, but you can probably figure out what I mean.

So I guess the generalizable point regarding volunteer opportunities is know what you're getting into and don't be afraid to change to something else if it's not working out for you.

The problem with St John (and volunteer organizations in general) is summed up in what somebody told me when I started: "Some of the people in St John need the Brigade more than the Brigade needs them". I won't expand on that any further in a public forum, but you can probably figure out what I mean.

+1

You may have a great experience, you may have a no-so-great experience. It will depend highly on the people who are involved in the exact town/city you are in. :)

Archived