Premed 101 Forums

How hard is it to get a research position in hospitals in the fall/winter?

futuremedgirl

Hey Guys,

So, I've encountered some money problems and am forced to take the coming school year off for financial reasons. To turn this around to my benefit, I decided to apply for research positions in hospitals in the Toronto/Mississauga area so that I can gain valuable work experience in the medical field. Has anyone else ever had the experience of looking for research assistant positions in late August to start somewhere in September? I've been hearing that most spots are taken already and I'm too late to apply! Any idea which places/supervisors have funding and have relatively less people applying for them? Or anyone who easily takes on undergraduate students? I finished my 3rd year and have been doing some voluntary research work, but I know my supervisor doesn't get much grants so I'm too hesitant to ask her straight up about a job.. I did ask her about potential networking and if she can hook me up with any colleagues, and am waiting for a reply back, but in the mean time I'm looking around for other supervisors as well. I'd appreciate any help guys, thanks!!

Shouldn't be hard at the U of T affiliated hospitals. Especially with so many summer students finishing up now, positions should be opening. I would just email a bunch of profs you're interested in - follow up with a second email in a few days if you don't get a reply. Grant season begins soon, so I would contact them ASAP before they get too busy to reply.

Shouldn't be hard at the U of T affiliated hospitals. Especially with so many summer students finishing up now, positions should be opening. I would just email a bunch of profs you're interested in - follow up with a second email in a few days if you don't get a reply. Grant season begins soon, so I would contact them ASAP before they get too busy to reply.

When exactly does grant season begin?

Thanks for the input guys! I've already started mass emailing researchers in some U of T affiliated hospitals, fingers crossed I hope I get something soon! For any grad students or R.A's out here, does anyone know if their lab has a spot open or coming along? I'd love to do clinical research, but medicinal or biomedical would be equally good :)

Hey guys, I am having a real hard time finding a position in a lab. I've emailed professors at my school and they said that they either don't accept volunteers or that I should enroll in research course. On top of that the work-study research labs positions are only open to people who recieve OSAP which I unfortunatly dont. Can anyone suggest what I should do now? Thanks!!

Hey guys, I am having a real hard time finding a position in a lab. I've emailed professors at my school and they said that they either don't accept volunteers or that I should enroll in research course. On top of that the work-study research labs positions are only open to people who recieve OSAP which I unfortunatly dont. Can anyone suggest what I should do now? Thanks!!

Just out of curiosity...did they suggest that you enroll in a Master's program or is a research course smthg different?

Archived