Premed 101 Forums

Sept 1st MCAT

MacBiochem

Hey guys,

So i'm writing on Sept. 1st... kind of nervous... i haven't started the AAMC FLs yet, but plan on doing so in a week. I'm studying on my own... haven't taken a prep course or anything, and writing or the first time. I've tried the Kaplan FLs, did 1, 2, and 3... scored an average of 10 on both PS and BS, and 9 on verbal. which i guess i'm happy with for my first couple of FLs, but i was hoping for well above a 30 on the real thing.

My questions are:

1) are the Kaplan tests similar to the real thing, or are they a bit harder/easier?

2) as i have a little less than three weeks left, how can i do my best to make sure i reach my goal? Do i realistically have enough time to improve my score to atleast a 35 overall?

I just got really nervous today... and feel like i should be doing something differently... i guess im just posting this for reassurance, or advice, or even a reality check telling me i probably will end up with a low 30 on the real thing... any help/advice/feedback would be great.

Also, for other people writing in september, hows the studying coming along? what stages are you guys at.

Hey guys,

So i'm writing on Sept. 1st... kind of nervous... i haven't started the AAMC FLs yet, but plan on doing so in a week. I'm studying on my own... haven't taken a prep course or anything, and writing or the first time. I've tried the Kaplan FLs, did 1, 2, and 3... scored an average of 10 on both PS and BS, and 9 on verbal. which i guess i'm happy with for my first couple of FLs, but i was hoping for well above a 30 on the real thing.

My questions are:

1) are the Kaplan tests similar to the real thing, or are they a bit harder/easier?

2) as i have a little less than three weeks left, how can i do my best to make sure i reach my goal? Do i realistically have enough time to improve my score to atleast a 35 overall?

I just got really nervous today... and feel like i should be doing something differently... i guess im just posting this for reassurance, or advice, or even a reality check telling me i probably will end up with a low 30 on the real thing... any help/advice/feedback would be great.

Also, for other people writing in september, hows the studying coming along? what stages are you guys at.

Kaplan's FLs are relatively hard compared to the first few AAMC practice tests. Kaplan's scaled scoring is too lenient I think. I was getting 34-35s on the Kaplan's test and I've been getting similar on the AAMCs as well.

I have mine on the same day as well. I started my AAMC FLs a few days earlier though. I've completed all of the content. Just doing practice tests and practice writing samples

Start the AAMCs now. I made the error of leaving them to the last 2 weeks and then had to do a test every other day. I was feeling burned out/didn't give a **** by the end of it. I recommend giving yourself 2 days in between tests though that might be hard already. I do recommend starting AAMCs ASAP if you are definitely sure you're writing this year.

Archived