Premed 101 Forums

Sept 1st/2nd MCAT

Dr24

I agree with both posts above.

PS - so many calculations, but easy chem

VR - no idea how it went, had about 7 min left to review, but jeez I rewrote the whole thing to improve my verbal score for UC so...I hope I don't do worse than my worst score!

BS - loved it, thankfully i had 10 min left to review so I went back to the 'molecular' passage and actually drew it all out to make sure I understood it right, cause it was definitely my main are of concern. I thought that the Ochem component wasn't that bad at all though.

Anyway, I am glad I can watch TV at night now:D

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with both posts above.

VR - no idea how it went, had about 7 min left to review, but jeez I rewrote the whole thing to improve my verbal score for UC so...I hope I don't do worse than my worst score!

i'm having trouble finishing verbal.. do you mind sharing how you can have 7mins left?! thanks!

i'm having trouble finishing verbal.. do you mind sharing how you can have 7mins left?! thanks!

I started studying for it in May, and haven't been timing myself at all at first. I was just trying to figure out how to "solve' the section (with the help of a tutor). About 10 weeks before the exam my VR score went up, so then I started timing myself and figuring out the VR strategy that works for me.

At the end, what worked for me was to give myself 3-4 min to read the passage, and then I leave 3-4 min to answer the questions. If for the 3-4 min of passage reading you were focused and understood the information, then most of the questions won't take you long to answer. Some will take no time to answer, but others might take 1 min or more. I suggest making a cutoff time, after which you just guess, mark that question and move on. Starting your last passage when you still have 13 min left feels much better than starting it when you have only 5. So pondering over a few questions for a long time is really NOT worth it.

To sum it up, an important part about writing the whole test is the strategy. If ANY question, in ANY section is taking more than 1 min (or whatever you set the cutoff to be for you) - guess, mark and move on. Get back to it at the end - you will be surprised to see that the answer might be staring right at you then.

Hope this helps:D Erk is excellent at this stuff and is always happy to help (he was my tutor) - I would recommend contacting him if you need some "professional" help. Feel free to PM me too. Good luck.

PS: not bad at all. pretty easy stuff nothing too complicated.

VR: wayy better than expected. Perfectly on time. probably cause i was wayy more focused on the passages.

WS: ok, came up with examples right away. Topics were something i had practiced.

BS: WTF! -that is all

PS: not bad at all. pretty easy stuff nothing too complicated.

VR: wayy better than expected. Perfectly on time. probably cause i was wayy more focused on the passages.

WS: ok, came up with examples right away. Topics were something i had practiced.

BS: WTF! -that is all

PS: I agree with above, nothing too terrible. Not fantastic, but I wasn't expecting it to be - this is by far my weakest area.

VR: Pretty good, had a bit of time to check things over.

WS: Alright, totally made up some examples because I couldn't think of any solid ones.

BS: So depressed now, BS is usually where I really bring up my mark. Bio 10/11 totally lulled be into a false sense of security (14 on both). I don't even know what happened.

• 1 month later...

They seem to only release them on Tuesdays...so you have to wait until the closest Tuesday 1 month after you wrote your exam.

But I'm completely freaking out as well. I hate how we have to submit OMSAS apps like a day before the results come out.

I hate how we have to submit OMSAS apps like a day before the results come out.

+1

It's so annoying, they should just release them sooner than a month anyway. I was kind of waiting to see my scores before pressing 'submit', but now that I hear they come on Oct 4, there is nothing more to do...

In about 24 hours we'll have our results :eek:

To be honest, I am not expecting much from it. I blew the VR and the Essays.

And did anyone else feel that the BS section had a lot of molecular bio?

I think it did, but having worked in mol bio for a while I really enjoyed that! Didn't enjoy much else on the test though.

After the scores are out, how does does releasing them to OMSAS work? Can any someone direct me to the right thread or something. Thanks

Yes I too am unsure how to release them to OMSAS. But I guess clicking 'send all scores' and then maybe having an option 'OMSAS' should work... I hope.

I wasn't too happy with the bio section, but then again, can't truly be sure of the other sections either until the scores come out...

^^ also confused on how to release the scores and whether it's via SAM. Anyone?

Starting to get sooooo nervous!! Checking the forums religiously lol I don't want to keep refreshing the THX page and then have it randomly pop up, need to get myself ready for it :P

Is anyone else having trouble logging into THX right now? I've been checking constantly today (though I know it's not happening till later) and it's been working fine. All of a sudden now though it won't log me in, it just keeps going back to the log in page and saying "user not signed in". Which is odd, because it's like I know I'm not signed in, that's what I'm trying to do!

Is anyone else having trouble logging into THX right now? I've been checking constantly today (though I know it's not happening till later) and it's been working fine. All of a sudden now though it won't log me in, it just keeps going back to the log in page and saying "user not signed in". Which is odd, because it's like I know I'm not signed in, that's what I'm trying to do!

I'm logged in right now and it works fine for me.

Archived