Premed 101 Forums

Stupid questions but...

Lost&Found

...I'm gonna ask them anyway.

I'm still not sure exactly how all the MCAT prep materials work (I know, I know, what's not to get, right?). As I understand it, EK, TPR, TBR, and Kaplan are the main prep companies and they all have prep books that can be bought. I've noticed that people on this forum may mix up the prep books they use (e.g. Study VR from EK and BS, PS from TPR, etc.) Isn't it better to stick to one company's books when studying for the MCAT? Also, does it matter if I buy these prep books used or new? Is there a difference in the edition or something?

^ I realize my questions are quite stupid but I'm just starting my in-depth research on the MCAT and I'd rather be stupid now than during the test. :o

Thanks guys,

~L&F

...I'm gonna ask them anyway.

I'm still not sure exactly how all the MCAT prep materials work (I know, I know, what's not to get, right?). As I understand it, EK, TPR, TBR, and Kaplan are the main prep companies and they all have prep books that can be bought. I've noticed that people on this forum may mix up the prep books they use (e.g. Study VR from EK and BS, PS from TPR, etc.) Isn't it better to stick to one company's books when studying for the MCAT? Also, does it matter if I buy these prep books used or new? Is there a difference in the edition or something?

^ I realize my questions are quite stupid but I'm just starting my in-depth research on the MCAT and I'd rather be stupid now than during the test. :o

Thanks guys,

~L&F

First, the easy question. It doesn't matter if you buy the prep book new or used. As long as it's fairly recent, basic science & testing content hasn't changed all that much.

As for using one company or a mix, it really depends on your strengths/weaknesses. It's generally agreed upon that EK is the best for VR prep. However, EK doesn't cover BS or PS as thoroughly as TPR or Kaplan. Your best bet is to go to a book store and flip though the different review books to see which one(s) will best suit your needs/focus on your weaknesses. There are tons of book reviews on this forum to help you out.

Archived