Premed 101 Forums

GPA question

For dental schools that look at best 2 years (western, Saskatchewan, etc.) do they take the average of both years, or is there a specific cut off for both years.

My third and fourth year OMSAS GPA: 3.78 and 3.85 Average: 3.82

Is this gpa good enough, or I should take a 5th year to improve. I’m taking the DAT in Nov, so I am wondering whether to take another year or focus all my time studying for the DAT.

Thank you.

depends on how many A+s and As you have in those averages. Calculate in %s.

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf to convert for western

A+ = 93%

A = 88%

A- = 83%

B+ = 78%

B = 75%

B- = 73%

C+ = 68%

C = 65%

C- = 63%

D+ = 58%

D = 55%

D- = 53% for sask

You should need around a 88 for both sask and uwo. sask may be higher cause you will be OOP. DAT AA of 20/21 for both western and sask. carving ~20, PAT 20+, RC 20+.

On my UofT transcript I receive both a grade and percentage for each course. On there my average percentage for year 3 and 4 is 86.3 and 86.4.

A+ = 93%

A = 88%

A- = 83%

B+ = 78%

B = 75%

B- = 73%

C+ = 68%

C = 65%

C- = 63%

D+ = 58%

D = 55%

D- = 53% for sask

When I used the above scale, for year 3 I got 88% and for year 4 I got 87%. So should I do a 5th year to increase my grade even more or just focus on the dat.

Also, is the above scale used for all dentistry schools in Canada?

that GPA might be good enough for alberta and u manitoba and maybe BC-depending on your 3rd best year. But i Dont believe u have a good chance at UWO. But since they are not accepting 2nd/3rd years (who most likely have higher GPA's) you might have a chance.

Just my opinion.

and no, all schools have their own grading system and how to convert grades.

that GPA might be good enough for alberta and u manitoba and maybe BC-depending on your 3rd best year. But i Dont believe u have a good chance at UWO. But since they are not accepting 2nd/3rd years (who most likely have higher GPA's) you might have a chance.

Just my opinion.

and no, all schools have their own grading system and how to convert grades.

Doesn't Western take your best 2 years. I thought 87.5 is good enough for UWO.

Archived