Premed 101 Forums

Non-health related research for EC?

Hello!

I'm wondering if a non-health (physics to be specific) related research volunteer work will be good to put on the application ? I don't exactly understand why med schools look for students who has been involved in research in the first place though..

Anyhow, I wanted to get involved in research (for med school + branching out on my experience), and found a position where I'd be using x-ray spectroscopy machine for experimental physics. This research is not the most interesting topic for me, and it is not related to health at all (for med school). Would it be worth it for me to invest time volunteering for this position?

uhhh i had boatloads of psychology stuff that had nothing to do with health... but got me uber good reference letters and job offers as backups... i also put it on my application pack... i'd do it if it interests you, it sounds really cool but then again a lot of stuff does unless ur the one doing the benchwork :)

Hello!

I'm wondering if a non-health (physics to be specific) related research volunteer work will be good to put on the application ? I don't exactly understand why med schools look for students who has been involved in research in the first place though..

Anyhow, I wanted to get involved in research (for med school + branching out on my experience), and found a position where I'd be using x-ray spectroscopy machine for experimental physics. This research is not the most interesting topic for me, and it is not related to health at all (for med school). Would it be worth it for me to invest time volunteering for this position?

uhhh i had boatloads of psychology stuff that had nothing to do with health... but got me uber good reference letters and job offers as backups... i also put it on my application pack... i'd do it if it interests you, it sounds really cool but then again a lot of stuff does unless ur the one doing the benchwork :)

Thank you for the reply!

Did you tell your psychology prof that you were planning to apply to med school? I don't know of the physics prof that I'll be volunteering for would appreciate it and write me a good LOR if I decided to go into medicine which is not exactly related to physics.

I think the research is pretty cool too and the fact that I would be doing something instead of scut work (simple but still doing manual work with x-ray spectroscopy) is appealing to me, but I don't know if it would be wise to invest 6~8 hours a week in something that could not be beneficial to my application. (Since that is ultimately my goal, not physics)

I don't know why there is a section for research in ABS .. How is publishing articles can possibly help you as a physician? Only UFT cares about research .. maybe just because of their reputation that they are "research based" medical school .. I can't see how research can possibly assess someone's personality .. maybe showing to the lab on time shows that you're punctual .. making new findings (even though it's highly unlikely) shows that you're a problem solver .. but other than that .. I can't see how research can help you as a physician

I don't know why there is a section for research in ABS .. How is publishing articles can possibly help you as a physician? Only UFT cares about research .. maybe just because of their reputation that they are "research based" medical school .. I can't see how research can possibly assess someone's personality .. maybe showing to the lab on time shows that you're punctual .. making new findings (even though it's highly unlikely) shows that you're a problem solver .. but other than that .. I can't see how research can help you as a physician

1. Research makes you think outside the box. There's no "right" answer; only your interpretations. In a way, diagnosing a patient is like research: get your background, run some tests, get the results, interpret them to form your diagnosis.

2. Research shows you are open to change. New discoveries change the way we work and change the medical practice all the time, but if your some drone who practices exactly how he was taught 30 years ago without adapting to new advancements and theories then you're probably not much of a doctor.

3. New findings happen all the time. Pretty much every journal article you see is a new finding because many don't like publishing "insignificant work."

4. Without research, how would you know the medicine you're practicing is valid and acceptable? Many physicians take it upon themselves to conduct this research to see if the old methods work or if something new is better. For those that don't do research, they have to be able to understand research well enough to evaluate articles to keep up to date in the field. Understanding research is way easier when you've done research for yourself.

5. Harvard and Johns Hopkins are heavy medical research facilities and they seem to be doing something right since they're consistently ranked top 5. Research enhances what you know about a given specialty. In fact, in residency you'll probably have to do some type of research anyways.

Bottom line: get used to research because you'll be seeing lots of it, and it's not just UofT.

if you take a glass half full approach, everything in life prepares you for your future, even if it's teaching you what you don't want to do in life (research, maybe... or maybe you'll love physics and want to be a physics professor (and they actually do get jobs, lol)), lol ;) ... carl jung has a good quote about how you'll never learn anything about human psychology in a laboratory (he was exaggerating... i think? at least i hope) but in pubs, brothels, churches, and on the streets talking with common people.

wow, totally what i wanted to say but was too lazy too write... another thing too is you learn research methods, stats, and a bunch of ultra valuable stuff... you know how impressive it is to be able to say you know how to use spss, excel, do a linear regression analysis, recognize flaws in design, recognize the difference between statistical significance and clinical significance, be able to pick out flaws in research methodology (inclusion/exclusion criterion: i.e. the placebo response dropouts that make the drug seem way better than it is) /conclusions even if you aren't extremely well versed in the specific topic?

1. Research makes you think outside the box. There's no "right" answer; only your interpretations. In a way, diagnosing a patient is like research: get your background, run some tests, get the results, interpret them to form your diagnosis.

2. Research shows you are open to change. New discoveries change the way we work and change the medical practice all the time, but if your some drone who practices exactly how he was taught 30 years ago without adapting to new advancements and theories then you're probably not much of a doctor.

3. New findings happen all the time. Pretty much every journal article you see is a new finding because many don't like publishing "insignificant work."

4. Without research, how would you know the medicine you're practicing is valid and acceptable? Many physicians take it upon themselves to conduct this research to see if the old methods work or if something new is better. For those that don't do research, they have to be able to understand research well enough to evaluate articles to keep up to date in the field. Understanding research is way easier when you've done research for yourself.

5. Harvard and Johns Hopkins are heavy medical research facilities and they seem to be doing something right since they're consistently ranked top 5. Research enhances what you know about a given specialty. In fact, in residency you'll probably have to do some type of research anyways.

Bottom line: get used to research because you'll be seeing lots of it, and it's not just UofT.

Now I do agree that research can make you think outside the box. But I still do think research experience in unnecessary for a physician. Being updated with vaccines does not require you to have research experience. However, if you want to be a medical scientist in a specialty, then definitly a research background will be very helpful. As scientists do run experiments, trials, and evaluate hyothesis .. so having an experience in research is very helpful in that regard.

wow, totally what i wanted to say but was too lazy too write... another thing too is you learn research methods, stats, and a bunch of ultra valuable stuff... you know how impressive it is to be able to say you know how to use spss, excel, do a linear regression analysis, recognize flaws in design, recognize the difference between statistical significance and clinical significance, be able to pick out flaws in research methodology (inclusion/exclusion criterion: i.e. the placebo response dropouts that make the drug seem way better than it is) /conclusions even if you aren't extremely well versed in the specific topic?

Now I do agree that research can make you think outside the box. But I still do think research experience in unnecessary for a physician.

I am in med school without research experience. We are as mixed bag with different experiences. I have developed expertise and achieved national success in one of my activities and had over 1,000 hours of experience with trauma patients and with elderly chronic patients. Others have had a lifetime of competitive sports, while others are active citizens in their community doing normal volunteering about which they are passionate. The key is to have developed maturity, focus, dedication, compassion, be personable, an excellent communicator, an advocate, a critical thinker able to make fast paced decisions and be a team player.

Although research experience is not necessary to become a stellar physician, it is necessary if one should choose to conduct research once they earn their M.D.. In order to continue to conduct research in medicine, medical schools take into account previous research experience as it is a good indicator on whether a future doctor is 1. capable, 2. enjoys conducting research, and perhaps would pursue research in their specialization..

I suspect that the type of research does not matter one bit. I am doing research in a field that is not even related to medicine because it is related to my major, and it will help me make good connections for future endeavors (be it medical school or another career if it does not work out).

Cheers,

ABS

well, for me, i think it's most important that physicians are heavily trained in "research methods" because there's a lot of bs out there... in psych they train you to look like a hawk because half of it is bs, so you're able to pick up the more subtle in bs in other fields... that's why i advocate so much for much more intensive training in research methods.

i agree with you though, you don't have to have done research to be a good physician. i think i look at it differently than most because i didn't do research in bio sci, a lot of my research experience was analyzing data, doing stats, synthesizing different pitches, going through pertinent studies for replications, and looking for flaws, plus some academic writing and editing... a lot more "academic research" work than most undergrads do (only because i sucked so much at doing the "actual research" which involved handling a lot of animals that bit me too much and which would often escape and have me chasing after a flying bird in room with a labcoat (as in try and throw the labcoat on the bird), lol...)

Now I do agree that research can make you think outside the box. But I still do think research experience in unnecessary for a physician. Being updated with vaccines does not require you to have research experience. However, if you want to be a medical scientist in a specialty, then definitly a research background will be very helpful. As scientists do run experiments, trials, and evaluate hyothesis .. so having an experience in research is very helpful in that regard.

1) Evidence based medicine

2) Research requirements in most residency programs

I'm guessing those research requirements would be somewhat related to the residency program you're applying.

I just don't know if an experimental physics research is I guess "worth it". I would rather kill 2 birds with a stone by doing research that interest me AND would be beneficial to my application. If experimental physics doesn't satisfy the latter, I question if it's worth investing what little time I have for EC's during school.

There are no research requirements to most residencies .. residencies like Pediatric, Family physician, Emergency med, surgery, urology, gynecology, dermatology do not require research experience

Residency like Cardiology, where you have to research about the abnormalities of the heart .. research experience is recommended .. Getting a Phd in MD also require a research experience .. but most residencies do not require research experience ..

1) Evidence based medicine

2) Research requirements in most residency programs

I'm guessing those research requirements would be somewhat related to the residency program you're applying.

I just don't know if an experimental physics research is I guess "worth it". I would rather kill 2 birds with a stone by doing research that interest me AND would be beneficial to my application. If experimental physics doesn't satisfy the latter, I question if it's worth investing what little time I have for EC's during school.

Yet UFT is the school that accpets the most applicants 269 I think, so it's always good to have research experience for that school .. In fact, Western and Mac do not even look at your ABS .. only queen and Ottawa does .. I think that section named research was made because of UFT essentially :D

There are no research requirements to most residencies .. residencies like Pediatric, Family physician, Emergency med, surgery, urology, gynecology, dermatology do not require research experience

Residency like Cardiology, where you have to research about the abnormalities of the heart .. research experience is recommended .. Getting a Phd in MD also require a research experience .. but most residencies do not require research experience ..

Not required to get into the program; required once you're in the program.

Research can be quite helpful in applying to residency, not just for the most competitive specialties.. it's a great way to make connections, demonstrate interest and motivation, and secure strong letters of reference based on a longer-term interaction. While research isn't *required*, keep in mind that many of your fellow applicants will have it.

Archived