Premed 101 Forums

Internal Med. vs Med Consults

I'm applying for an elective at UofT right now. As an IMG looking to match into internal medicine, which is a better rotation for exposure to staff / getting letters of recommendation / showing that I know my stuff? Would love feedback if possible so I can make the right decision.

Thanks!

I can't speak for general medicine consults, but I've found subspecialty consult services much better for "face time" with staff. I did neuro consults this summer and got to spend lots of time reviewing directly with staff in emerg and on follow ups. It was great!

I think doing wards is better than doing consults, depending on your hospital. At our two hospitals, you rarely see the attending, you mainly work with residents. There are many more opportunities to shine on CTU.

So you don't see attendings on CTU? How do you get LORs? Maybe I should post this in the Toronto area instead but I wanted to know how the electives work there specifically and where you will have the best exposure.

Again it really depends - for ICU I had a lot of face-time with staff, and on neuro clinics I worked with staff almost exclusively. Consults meant working with two residents and meeting up and reviewing directly with staff as well.

Of course, I'm kinda biased here since I'm starting to dislike my MTU (as CTU is known here) rotation somewhat, and it doesn't allow for that much time with staff outside of rounds. Mostly we work with residents. And consults and clinics are waaaaaaaaaaaay better.

I think teamwork is also an important component too. You don't show that as much when you do pure consults with staff. They won't be able to comment on your teamwork skills if you're not on CTU. Sure, internal isn't all about CTU but there is a reason why it's considered pretty important part of the training.

As long as you don't have a staff who rarely shows up for rounds and doesn't like teaching, then I think CTU is a good mix. Besides, they can always go to the senior and ask them about the other stuff to put in the letter when they don't see you work directly.

Archived