Premed 101 Forums

Applying as an in-province student

Guest paronomasia5

Guest paronomasia5

Hello

I went to high school and cegep in montreal, then now I am finishing my 4th year in computer engineering at the university of waterloo.

Since I still ought to have a permanent code etc. in the system, can I apply as an in province student?

I understand there are around 5 oop places, so chances are slim. Does anyone know how many in province slots there are, and are the chances any better if I applied in that system?

Also, in general, Im wondering whether my engineering background will be a bonus, or a problem in applying. I dont have all the pre-req's yet, and would have to do them over summer.

Regards,

Rosco

Guest AniyaSG

As far as I'm aware, there are a HUGE number of in-province spots as compared to OOP, which there are 5 of, with ~400 applicants this year. I think they interview more folks for the in-province spots, but that only makes sense since there are so many more places available. I don't know exact numbers though. My advice would be to apply as an in-province, if your strictly going on mathermatical odds your chances are better IMO. (I tried to figure out some way to be an in-province applicant, but the rules are fairly strict...)

Good Luck :)

Edit: tuition is WAY less for in-province students as well... an important consideration!

Guest knight

I'm wondering what's the status of the in-province interview letters. Have they been sent out yet, and if not, when are they due to be?

Guest KellyD

I was told that interviews for Quebec residents would be held the week of March 18, and not to expect more than a week's notice, at most!

Good luck!

Kelly

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

I received a phone call and a letter for an interview for March 22. My stats are 3.83 from an Ontario University and 32 on my MCAT. Does anyone know how many in-province people get interviews and how manuy actually make it? Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mcgill student

I am waiting for a reply for McGill as you are. Unfortunately, I think the outlook is bad. McGIll finished interviewing in-province not last friday, but the one before. They are sending out all there final notices, or "rejections", today.

I am very confused here. I interviewed as an in-province student on March 22nd. I was told that the in-province people would find out towards the end of April, which would make sense, as it took about two months for them to make decisions about the OOP applicants. "McGill Student" can you please clarify/confirm your post. Thanks.

Guest haloo

I called the admissions office at Mcgill today and they told me the same thing they told a friend of mine during interview week for in-provincers which was March 18-22. The admissions people meet this Friday, April 5 to presumeably make the final decisions. But it will still be about two weeks after that before letters are sent out.

Guest McGill Student

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the interviews only, not the acceptance letters

ie. interviews are finished for in province.

Good luck!

Guest mcgill student

Sorry for the confusion. I meant interviews are over, and the replies for interviews are being sent today. I have no idea about acceptance letters.

Good luck!

Guest mcgill student

Sorry for the confusion. I meant interviews are over, and the replies for interviews are being sent today. I have no idea about acceptance letters.

Good luck!

Guest McGillBoy

I had my interview on March 19th.

The secretary had told me then that all decisions were to be made by April 5th and it would take them a week to mail off the envelopes, and by the week of April 15th we should start hearing. Knowing McGill, it will probably be in May sometime, but this is what she said. It makes sense, going with the three week deal they talk about on their website. Anyone got any different information regarding when McGill decisions are mailed out. Also , for those that didnt get interviews, when do they finally hear?

Guest haloo

The aforementioned stats are pretty much what I've heard and what several other people who interviewed as in provincers got told as well. I was told that there was 75-80 interviewees for 60 spots.

Crazy isn't it? The odds are so good, but there will still be people that won't get in. For some reason, it's making me more anxious?!

Guest McGillBoy

I agree - knowing the numbers makes me more anxious too.

I went to the office today and asked about the dates, just to confirm. I was told that today they were having their last meeting, and all final deicisons were being made today, and envelopes will be mailed in approximately two weeks. This is straight from the mouth of the admissions corrdinator at the office.

Good luck to all those that are waiting.

Hey McGillboy, are you from Montreal? Did you apply anywhere else? Sorry, if you do not like my small chat, but by wasting my time checking this message board, I hope to make the wait seem shorter:) .

Guest McGillBoy

Yes, I am from Montreal. I had an interview at Western this past weekend. I must say, it is quite different thne the McGill way of conducting things....so organized and nice. Almost as if they want you at their school. Whatever, my heart is truly set on Mcgill, so now, like you said, it is just a waiting game. It is so hard knowing that the decision is made, and they just wont tell you for at least two weeks. I wish they could step on the gaz, and give us those envelopes, cause bad news during exams must be the worst!

Ahhhh - I hate the waiting game......

I interviewed at the Ontario schools as well. I did not mind the "to-the-point" interview day at McGill. But I know what you are getting at with your remark. I totally love McGill Med School's atmosphere. The anatomy building was like a scene from a Hitchcock movie. Only two to three weeks to go! God, I am anxious.

Guest haloo

I called the admissions office (again!) today. I wonder if the woman there is starting to recognize my voice.

Anyways, the reason I called was to get yet an even better estimate of the timing. So, I asked when in provincers should expect to get their letters and she said 'two weeks', and then I asked, 'is that two weeks when you START to mail the letters or...' and she said, no, they are working on the letters now and we should be RECEIVING the letters in two weeks.

I don't know if this info will be of any value to anyone or not but I keep feeling like I need to know these things.

Guest McGillBoy

so, does anyone have any updates?? I am so curious - it is killing me. It sucks that this is al going on in the middle of finals. I find it pretty hard to concentrate on studying when all I seem to be doing is thinking of if I will be getting in or not. Two rumors I heard - one said april 25th, and the other said april 18th. I still have no idea!! Anyone call recently??

Post up!

Guest medicator007

Agreed, it totally does stink that we have to go through this right at the end of term as papers and exams loom in the near future. Especially with the prospect of getting the envelope (based on the two rumours u cite) right smack dab in the middle of finals. But as tough as it may be, stick with the studying b/c at this point you cannot do a single thing to change what that letter is going to say.

Here's hoping that we both get acceptance letters to motivate us through the end of exams!

Cheers,

Medicator007

Guest McGillBoy

... and still waiting....

this is getting harder and harder each and every day....

Hope everyone studying harder then me for finals (LOL) ! Remember, any new news, post up!!

Archived