Premed 101 Forums

Worth Applying to OMSAS this year?

Hi Everybody,

I am an Ontario native - completed my BHK at UBC.

I would love very much to get into school at UBC - already did my application there - but I do not want to close ANY doors.

I need some advice on whether not to apply to OMSAS this term.

1 yr gpa - (77%) 3.30

2 yr gpa - (72%) 3.00

3 yr gpa - (75%) 3.00

4 yr gpa - (82%) 3.70

My MCAT will be about ~24 ish ... (if according to plan - will receive score in end of Sept) - I will most likely re-write this in January. YIKES!

My EC's include:

*Research Coordinator (2010-2011) and Research Assistant (2009-present)

*Resident Advisor/Social Coordinator (2009-2011)

*Administrative Assistant at Project HANDS in Guatemala (May 2011)

* Child Life Volunteer (6 months between 2010-2011)

*Assistant Director of Intramural Leagues (2008-2009)

*ER & Diagnostic Imaging Volunteer (2006 during Highschool, also summer 2008)

*Shadowed several Plastic Surgeons, Anesthesiologists & 1 ortho! So lucky.

I also plan on taking a 2nd UG degree in Science (Food, Nutrition etc) beginning in January 2012 at UBC.

I have little nightmares that I am not smart enough for this path - but I just want it so badly and from what I have heard if you want it badly enough - it will come ... with time.

Cheers!

Hi Everybody,

I am an Ontario native - completed my BHK at UBC.

I would love very much to get into school at UBC - already did my application there - but I do not want to close ANY doors.

I need some advice on whether not to apply to OMSAS this term.

1 yr gpa - (77%) 3.30

2 yr gpa - (72%) 3.00

3 yr gpa - (75%) 3.00

4 yr gpa - (82%) 3.70 <-Your OMSAS average is calculated through every course, not just percent average of all of your courses. See this link for help calculating your average: http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

You may benefit from special weighting formula for each ontario school, see their website for further clarification.

My MCAT will be about ~24 ish ... (if according to plan - will receive score in end of Sept) - I will most likely re-write this in January. YIKES! <- 24 is low, can still apply to Mac if VR is high (11+). rewriting is a good idea

My EC's include:

*Research Coordinator (2010-2011) and Research Assistant (2009-present)

*Resident Advisor/Social Coordinator (2009-2011)

*Administrative Assistant at Project HANDS in Guatemala (May 2011)

* Child Life Volunteer (6 months between 2010-2011)

*Assistant Director of Intramural Leagues (2008-2009)

*ER & Diagnostic Imaging Volunteer (2006 during Highschool, also summer 2008)

*Shadowed several Plastic Surgeons, Anesthesiologists & 1 ortho! So lucky.

Decent EC's, keep them up!

I also plan on taking a 2nd UG degree in Science (Food, Nutrition etc) beginning in January 2012 at UBC.

I have little nightmares that I am not smart enough for this path - but I just want it so badly and from what I have heard if you want it badly enough - it will come ... with time.

You show a lot of potential, so clearly your are smart enough! It all comes down to work ethic and really working your ass off, trust me I know! lol, good luck.

Cheers!

+10 char!!

I believe B.C. in general has a different education system than Ontario. I suspect this because I know for a fact that the high school curriculum's are completely different (I teach at a private school part time). I suppose this is why there is a massive conversion difference. As far as I know all the Ontario unis have equivalent scoring systems.

That being said it's good that you discovered this now, rather than have wasted money on the application. Additionally, a second degree is no longer an option for you but a requirement, unless you decide to go the grad school route

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I want to know if by completing 2 years with the current OMSAS GPA will be enough?

1) 3.24

2) 2.9

3) 3.1

4) 3.47

Yikes.

Will a 2nd degree (2 year) make a difference in my academic competiveness - or should it be more like 3 years?

The reason I am posting so much recently - is I am trying to get my self sorted for Sept 2012 - I plan on starting second degree at UBC full time.

Thanks!

A second degree will give you a fresh start at schools that allow the GPA of only your best two years/second degree to be used. If you want to maximize your chances, a 3 year degree will open up more doors than a 2 year degree, but ultimately your competitiveness is going to depend on how well you do on your best two years anyway.

What field are you planning to start a second degree in? As simpy has said, make sure you read the second degree policies carefully. You don't want to start something only to find out that it wouldn't help you at all in some schools.

Hi Everyone,

The reason I am posting so much recently - is I am trying to get my self sorted for Sept 2012 - I plan on starting second degree at UBC full time.

Thanks!

Your options are really just going to be Queen's and Western after 2 years and Ottawa after 3. You will also have outside (i.e. 10-30% chance at an interview even if you get 4.0 for the next 3 years) shots at McMaster, McGill, UBC, Dalhousie and NOSM.

Focus your efforts on meeting requirements for those schools, particularly Queen's/Western/Ottawa. Those are by far your best shots.

You will also have outside (i.e. 10-30% chance at an interview even if you get 4.0 for the next 3 years) shots at McMaster, McGill, UBC, Dalhousie and NOSM.

Focus your efforts on meeting requirements for those schools, particularly Queen's/Western/Ottawa. Those are by far your best shots.

Simpy - why so low at ubc?

Thx

I also just want to confirm that I understand Western's policy before I make any big moves in terms of my choices for a 2nd Undergrad (I don't want to close any doors).

If I plan on doing BSc in Food, Nutrition & Health at UBC ... in order to be applicable for Western I need to:

1) Ensure it's minimum 2 years? (This is okay correct - or does it have to be 4 years again?)

2) Apply in the final year of my program

2) Ensure 3 of 5 of my courses are senior level

Thanks for your expertise

All the best!

These threads pop up all the time but people rarely offer the most important question:

Are you able to sustain a GPA of 3.8+ for 2-3 years? Your current history says otherwise. What's changed? What will change?

Hey Bloh,

I have grown as an individual a lot since my first degree. I have taken myself out of a very unhealthy relationship/situation and have spent the past two years maturing and learning as an individual. I have been working hard to develop mental clarity, a sense of confidence as well as better self esteem, which has allowed me to learn the art of prioritization. I am willing to make sacrifices that perhaps I wasn't willing to before. Thanks for your concern - but I am quite positive that this time things have changed and things will be different.

All the best.

You will also have outside (i.e. 10-30% chance at an interview even if you get 4.0 for the next 3 years) shots at McMaster, McGill, UBC, Dalhousie and NOSM.

Simpy - why so low at ubc?

Thx

Because the UBC new AQ system will murder you. Cumulative GPA is really hard to fix, and even if your worst year is dropped under the UBC new rule, your overall % won't be competitive enough. If you manage to score 90s in your 2nd undergrad (60 credits?), then maybe your overall % will be decent enough (low 80s) and your chances will improve significantly given you continue to work on your ECs (which are pretty good already). I agree with simpy's recommendations.

Archived