Premed 101 Forums

diversity electives

hey just wondering if anyone had suggestions on what some good fields would be for diversity electives if i am currently considering radiology as my top pick ... i was thinking maybe orthopaedics (lots of MSK imaging?) and nuclear medicine?

any other suggestions?

Suggest something you haven't done, that you won't have a chance to see again in the future, and that will be relevant to radiology as well in terms of understanding the clinical context of the studies you read. Many surgical subspecialties fit this - it would have been nice to do neurosurgery or trauma, for example - although the schedules will not be as friendly as nuclear medicine. I would suggest nuclear medicine mainly if you are considering applying to the dual programs as well, which may not be a bad idea. Otherwise, you will have several months of nuclear medicine in radiology residency as well. Orthopedics is relevant but depending on the program, you may get it in PGY-1 as well.

Agree that pathology is relevant, but a clerk may not have the proper context to learn radiologically relevant material, unless extremely motivated to learn a specific area of pathology during the rotation (at least with surgery, you'll see how the patients present and get a sense of how they are managed and operated on). Nearly all radiology programs send their residents to the radiology-pathology correlation course in Washington DC in their senior years. Upside is unbeatable schedule.. elective students usually have ample time to sit/read/observe what they want. It is also a related field that those interested in imaging may want to consider as well.

many of the program description on carms state that letters should indicate the student's interest in radiology so i would want to do a diversity elective in something that would allow me to talk a bit about imaging to the preceptor ... i was thinking internal med > ortho > neuro > respirology > pathology? ... i think i will do nuclear in addition to one of those just mentioned

thanks for the responses!

Doubtful that committees are looking for any meaningful comments on your interest in radiology from the perspective of other clinical specialties. As long as the letter states that you are applying to radiology and not some other field, you should be fine.

Obviously the radiologist's letter would be able to describe your interest more in depth.. aren't you the person who already has a summer in the department to show interest?

If you are thinking general internal medicine, yes, they look at chest xrays regularly, but other than that, you have plenty of exposure in clerkship and residency. Due to this, GIM would be my last pick for an elective, though you may have other reasons... respirology would be more high yield, as would neurology.

Archived