Premed 101 Forums

question concerning McGill's application form

Guest JustAnotherStudent

Guest JustAnotherStudent

Hi all, I am applying to both Medicine and Dentistry in McGill. I am confusing if I should use one application for Med (as primary choice) and list Dent (as alternative choice), or start both as separate application, one for med, and one for dent (both as primary choice, no alternative)

My second question is, last year, I applied to McGill Anatomy, I paid the bill, yet later on decided to continue studying in my current university. So, i did not send the study record, and they told me the application for Anatomy was cancelled. This year, I forgot the login ID and pass for my previous account, thus create a new one. Would that be a problem?

Thanks all :(

Guest JustAnotherStudent

Thanks Nixon and Corie, I was a bit confused due to the word "Alternative" which I thought they will look at the first choice before processing the 2nd ;)

I am also a student interested in both medicine and dentistry. I am wondering how Mcgill would view such students. More specifically, if the school will have any prejudice against such students.

Many pre-med students have dentistry as a backup. In my case, dentistry is not a backup but just another consideration (equally as medicine). Anyway, I hear that generally dental schools much favor students who have made up their mind and are solely committed and dedicated to the career path in dentistry. I would really like to know if that is the case of McGill as well. If you know anything about this matter please comment! ;) thank uuuu

If McGill is like UdeM (and I think it is), your choices are evaluated independently so med won't know you also put down dent and dent won't know you put down med. If you're accepted, you get the highest choice on your list automatically (no choosing later on). Say you put 1) med and 2) dent. You're accepted into dent. Then you're accepted into med. That would automatically close your application for dent. Feel free to correct me if McGill doesn't work that way anymore!

If McGill is like UdeM (and I think it is), your choices are evaluated independently so med won't know you also put down dent and dent won't know you put down med. If you're accepted, you get the highest choice on your list automatically (no choosing later on). Say you put 1) med and 2) dent. You're accepted into dent. Then you're accepted into med. That would automatically close your application for dent. Feel free to correct me if McGill doesn't work that way anymore!

McGill doesn't work that way anymore. You can be accepted into all the programs you applied to and your file will never be closed for another program.

You can apply to both dent and med. They are infact very similar professions. Dentistry is apart of medicine on the grand scheme of things and McGill profs make it clear. Just don't go Med, Dent and Law - that might be harder to justify.

Your choices are evaluated independently.

You can apply to both dent and med. They are infact very similar professions. Dentistry is apart of medicine on the grand scheme of things and McGill profs make it clear. Just don't go Med, Dent and Law - that might be harder to justify.

Your choices are evaluated independently.

Students in the past have switched from med to law and vice versa. Both are highly intellectually stimulating and require critical thinking, problem solving under time constraints, lifelong learning, excellent communication skills and have many other traits in common. Bottom line, appliying to med and law or to med, law and dent is entirely appropriate and there is not the slightest downside to so doing.

Hi Guys ( I have seen you a lot since I have joined this forum ;) you guys are really nice doing this for us btw, thanks! ) ,

I would like to know whether the french universities requires a written essay or something that resembles the McGill admission procedures? ( I only know a bit about mcgill, like we have a cv, essay, short-essay, short cv, and interview ) what about the french ones? do they require anything or it's just r-score over the limit and you are qualified for an interview?

btw, I have an r score of 32.9xx and I think I might get it up to 33.5 and HOPEFULLY 34 :S , is that a "good enough" r score? what program do you guys recommend in case I am refused everywhere? I heard Physiotherapy is good to reapply to med?

as for extra curricular activities: swimming for like 8 years competitively (highest level before i stopped was provincial, the highest level of my club), stopped during cegep because the schedule did not match ( i finished at 6 pm and my practices began at 6...), piano since 12 ( a bit late ), computer programming as a hobby (quiet new hobby i would say lol, imma total noob but i did program a game eheh), volunteering since sec 1 (various places such as eco-quartier, food-shelter ? I don't know what that's called, hospital, hospital research lab, first aid. I was a qualified lifeguard, but never worked as one ( I have two of the certificates). lots of mathematics certificates and honors, currently a club executive at my cegep (marianopolis), went to international high school but I don't think that would be useful? i do not know, I am just writing everything pretty much. oh and i do not know if this matters but my science r score is ~37 and humanities/french/eng ~ 26 o.o

and yeah, I am applying for fall 2012 so lots of stress already D:

oh and what about dentistry applications? or is that question inappropriate here?

mucho Thanks!

Hi Guys ( I have seen you a lot since I have joined this forum ;) you guys are really nice doing this for us btw, thanks! ) ,

I would like to know whether the french universities requires a written essay or something that resembles the McGill admission procedures? ( I only know a bit about mcgill, like we have a cv, essay, short-essay, short cv, and interview ) what about the french ones? do they require anything or it's just r-score over the limit and you are qualified for an interview?

btw, I have an r score of 32.9xx and I think I might get it up to 33.5 and HOPEFULLY 34 :S , is that a "good enough" r score? what program do you guys recommend in case I am refused everywhere? I heard Physiotherapy is good to reapply to med?

as for extra curricular activities: swimming for like 8 years competitively (highest level before i stopped was provincial, the highest level of my club), stopped during cegep because the schedule did not match ( i finished at 6 pm and my practices began at 6...), piano since 12 ( a bit late ), computer programming as a hobby (quiet new hobby i would say lol, imma total noob but i did program a game eheh), volunteering since sec 1 (various places such as eco-quartier, food-shelter ? I don't know what that's called, hospital, hospital research lab, first aid. I was a qualified lifeguard, but never worked as one ( I have two of the certificates). lots of mathematics certificates and honors, currently a club executive at my cegep (marianopolis), went to international high school but I don't think that would be useful? i do not know, I am just writing everything pretty much. oh and i do not know if this matters but my science r score is ~37 and humanities/french/eng ~ 26 o.o

oh and what about dentistry applications? or is that question inappropriate here?

mucho Thanks!

In French schools, they start selecting candidates solely based on the R Score. Those with the highest R Scores will be invited to the MMI. UdeS will require a personality test (TAAMUS). UL will require an autobiographic questionnaire (QAS) that you must submit in March, but it won't be read if not invited to the MMI.

At UdeM. admission to Dentistry is mostly solely based on R Score. They have a cut-off for the DAT and require a letter of motivation, but it seems for this forum that people don't struggle a lot with these.

mucho Thanks!

For the french universities, only your overall R-score counts. While your ~37 in science is impressive, it will be undermined by ~26 in non-science. With anything under 33.4-33.5, it will be impossible to get an interview at any of the french unis. McGill is another story: they occasionally interview lower R-scores if they have an extremely impressive letter and ECs. Do not ask me what constitues extremely impressive ECs or letter: I have no idea.

So, try to raise that R-score. Maybe take more science classes? and you might get interviews at the french schools.

See bold below

UdeM requires only the application form, Laval the written QAS & sherby the simple psychological test.

Apply to Concordia's B.Sc. in Exercise Science with Specialization in Clinical Exercise Physiology and you can find my thread.

only McGill is interested in ECs/volunteering, otherwise, you bring your experiences with you into the MEMFI

apply to both

mucho Thanks!

If you don't get in, a LOT of programs are good if you want to re-apply three years later. So do what YOU like because you will get better grades studying something you like.

I can't tell you if your ECs are good enough ; it all depends on how you talk about them. But maybe you could try tutoring in maths, I did it and really appreciated helping other students =) It's a good experience to share at the interviews too. (But don't do it only to write it on your CV)

The fact that your science R-score is high could help you for McGill because they do look at your science grades.

See bold below

Are you sure a program that doesn't require a high R Score (24 or 25) can be benefitary for someone with an R Score of ~33. Wouldn't be better for the OP to consider a program that requires a high R Score like sciencs biomedicales and physiotherapy.

Don't forget that 2 French schools look at the IFG/IFD (group's/program's strength).

Are you sure a program that doesn't require a high R Score (24 or 25) can be benefitary for someone with an R Score of ~33. Wouldn't be better for the OP to consider a program that requires a high R Score like sciencs biomedicales and physiotherapy.

Don't forget that 2 French schools look at the IFG/IFD (group's/program's strength).

Some programs with very low R-Score requirement (engineering) or no R-Score requirement at all (actuarial maths) allow you to get a good CRU. You don't need to choose a program ''contingenté'' (I don't know the word in english, sorry ;) )

http://www.reg.ulaval.ca/webdav/site/reg/shared/PDF/ProgCont/TableEtalons.pdf

• 1 month later...

Archived