Premed 101 Forums

Physiotherapy questions

I will be applying for the following programs this year and I have a few questions about them

- UofA Physio

- UofS Physio

- McMaster Physio

- UWO Physio

- UofT Physio

- Queens Physio

- McGill Physio

My average is looking to be about 78-82%, I did very poorly 2nd year, 2nd semester. Are there any schools that do not look at those marks? (only look at 3/4th years? But with those marks what are my chances of getting in to any of the following programs. /What were the GPA cutoffs for the above programs last year

When do applications open/close

When do we find out if we get an interview, getting accepted or declined

Why does McGill have a qualifying year prior to physio school entrance, what is it like? What happens if you do poorly during the qualifying year?

I applied to the ontario schools, and they figured out my marks like this:

- converted 2nd, 3rd and 4th year courses into the 4.0 scale

- factored the "last 2 years" into my marks, which really means they used my entire 2nd year marks but weighted it as half a year, took my entire 3rd year and weighted it one full year, then used my 4th year marks until december and weighted it half a year

I'm not sure about your chances in Ontario... the only way to know is to convert into the 4.0 scale. I think U of A is a bit easier to get into.

Confusing but hope that helps.

I will be applying for the following programs this year and I have a few questions about them

- UofA Physio

- UofS Physio

- McMaster Physio

- UWO Physio

- UofT Physio

- Queens Physio

- McGill Physio

My average is looking to be about 78-82%, I did very poorly 2nd year, 2nd semester. Are there any schools that do not look at those marks? (only look at 3/4th years? But with those marks what are my chances of getting in to any of the following programs. /What were the GPA cutoffs for the above programs last year

When do applications open/close

When do we find out if we get an interview, getting accepted or declined

Why does McGill have a qualifying year prior to physio school entrance, what is it like? What happens if you do poorly during the qualifying year?

What province are you a resident of? I haven't looked much at the schools outside of Ontario, but I do know that most out of province schools have residency requirements (ie. there are a limited # of seats for OOP students, or no seats at all). I think McGill might be the one exception to this..

You need to convert your % average into a GPA (see this link). Have you graduated already? If you have then the schools won't look at your 2nd year (unless the 20th course falls in 2nd year). If you haven't then they'll do a weighted calculation (1st semester of 4th year + 3rd year + weighted 2nd year to make up for all remaining courses up to #20). I'm not sure if they'd weight the entire year or just the semester - if anyone knows then please chime in.

One more thing to mention is PT experience. Do you have any experience related to PT? It'd be very helpful for Queens and McGill, and it would give you some background to draw upon during interviews.

Applications open sometime in October and close in January I believe. Interview notifications are sent out in late March/early April and interviews are held late April/early May, and then offers are sent out in late May.

I think McGill doesn't have the prerequisites like other schools, and has a qualifying year instead (to teach the relevant material). I'd assume that it'd be hard to fail as long as you diligently study. If you do fail then I guess you're kicked out (or maybe they give you a 2nd chance to repeat it?)

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions fire away.

What province are you a resident of? I haven't looked much at the schools outside of Ontario, but I do know that most out of province schools have residency requirements (ie. there are a limited # of seats for OOP students, or no seats at all). I think McGill might be the one exception to this..

You need to convert your % average into a GPA (see this link). Have you graduated already? If you have then the schools won't look at your 2nd year (unless the 20th course falls in 2nd year). If you haven't then they'll do a weighted calculation (1st semester of 4th year + 3rd year + weighted 2nd year to make up for all remaining courses up to #20). I'm not sure if they'd weight the entire year or just the semester - if anyone knows then please chime in.

One more thing to mention is PT experience. Do you have any experience related to PT? It'd be very helpful for Queens and McGill, and it would give you some background to draw upon during interviews.

Applications open sometime in October and close in January I believe. Interview notifications are sent out in late March/early April and interviews are held late April/early May, and then offers are sent out in late May.

I think McGill doesn't have the prerequisites like other schools, and has a qualifying year instead (to teach the relevant material). I'd assume that it'd be hard to fail as long as you diligently study. If you do fail then I guess you're kicked out (or maybe they give you a 2nd chance to repeat it?)

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions fire away.

I live/go to school in Ontario. Do UofA/UofS only offer limited seats to students out side of the province? If so how many seats are available to out of province students?

I think McGill doesn't have the prerequisites like other schools, and has a qualifying year instead (to teach the relevant material).

When I had looked into the QY for PT @ McGill, I was informed they required 50 hours working with a physio to be considered. The fact that I had hundreds of hours working with neuro/motor dsyfunctional patients in exercise was considered irrelevant and of no value.

When I had looked into the QY for PT @ McGill, I was informed they required 50 hours working with a physio to be considered. The fact that I had hundreds of hours working with neuro/motor dsyfunctional patients in exercise was considered irrelevant and of no value.

So you did get the experience McGill wanted or did you apply elsewhere?

• 1 month later...

This is true, I know many physiotherapists who have said the same thing. You need a minimum of 50ish volunteer hours at a physio clinic, volunteering anywhere else does not fulfill this requirement. Unless it has changed in the past 6 months, I am pretty sure this requirement still holds true. Also, for what its worth, the physiotherapists who told me this all worked at a mcgill teaching hospital.

Archived