Premed 101 Forums

Meal suggestions for the day of

amalwa12

Hey guys!

I'm writing the coming Saturday at 1pm. What would be the best thing to eat before I go in for the exam? Something that will keep me energized for as long as possible without making me feel drowsy or sick? I will probably get some light exercise around 10, eat around 11 and rest until the exam at 1. (Planning on getting there about 45 minutes early)

Also, for break snacks, I'll take granola bars, gatorade and fruit pieces.

Another question- what do you guys do to calm down during your 10-minute breaks?

Just looking for some suggestions for optimal performance.

Thanks a lot :)

I'm going to go with lots and lots of protein! So maybe grilled chicken beforehand, along with some sort of fatty food (not sure what yet) and then protein bars for snacks. And no carbs...they make me sleepy.

That pretty much defies everything metabolism and physiology would have to say about it. Its probably the fats that are making you tired. Eat complex carb snacks/meals day of for sustained energy release.

At the end of the day though, what you eat probably won't influence your score - unless you eat nothing and can't focus. If you're ready, you're ready. If you're not, you're not. Food can't change that.

I'm going to go with lots and lots of protein! So maybe grilled chicken beforehand, along with some sort of fatty food (not sure what yet) and then protein bars for snacks. And no carbs...they make me sleepy.

This is a good strategy - protein/fats.

chicken, steak, Shrimp are all good choices here.

As for fats, natural peanut/almond butter along with walnuts/almonds/cashews would be suitable for fats.

The fats will keep you fuller and keep blood sugar levels stable and energy levels even.

That pretty much defies everything metabolism and physiology would have to say about it. Its probably the fats that are making you tired. Eat complex carb snacks/meals day of for sustained energy release.

At the end of the day though, what you eat probably won't influence your score - unless you eat nothing and can't focus. If you're ready, you're ready. If you're not, you're not. Food can't change that.

protein/fat keep blood sugar levels are more stable - of course we're talking about healthy fats here.

Carbs raise glucose which is what causes peaks and valleys in mood/energy.

What you eat can definitely affect your mood, energy and cognitive function so yes, even if you are ready it does matter.

Archived