Premed 101 Forums

EK + TPR hyperlearning home study

chenoa

Hi there,

So I've managed to get my hands on the EK complete study pack (7th edition) and the 2008 TPR Hyperlearning set. I'm also considering getting EK Verbal 101 once I've got some actual studying done/am closer to actually doing the mcat. I've heard and read so many opinions about what to use/what not to use! :confused: (Question: on SDN, the berkeley review seems to be real popular, but no so on PM 101- or is that just my fluke observation?)

What I'm really looking for is advice on how to proceed from here. My uni science courses are pretty much limited to physio, micro, pharm, anatomy, and easy chem (did a nursing degree). Plus those uni courses were at least 2 years ago, as I just graduated. I did well in high school (grade 11 and 12) chem, bio, physics, math 4 years ago, but haven't had much practice since then. Is EK + TPR a decent combo for someone without a good science background? Does anyone have an opinion on how to best utilize these materials? I'm not sure whether to go through EK first, or TPRH first . . . or just use EK and supplement with TPR??

Also, I bought the EK set a few years back. Anyone know if it's still current?

Thanks,

aikigirl

EK books provide a good & brief summary of what you need to know for the MCAT, and TPR goes into depth about these materials.

So basically, if you have lots of time & want to learn things in depth, then I strongly suggest that you first review the materials with TPR books and then go over EK books to solidify your understandings.

As for TBR books, the reason the book is not popular is because the shipping cost is too expensive. I tried ordering TBR books to Canada, but the shipping cost was $200+ for a $60 book, which, in my opinion, is not worth the money.

Nevertheless, I managed to purchase a PDF version from someone in the US, and I am somewhat ambivalent about my opinion of the book.

Bio was really really detailed (more than what I have learned in biology major courses), which was followed by passage-based questions. The questions were good, but I didn't find the bio content stuff to be very helpful.

As for verbal, the verbal passages are extremely dense & questions are convoluted to the point, which in my opinon, do not accurately represent the MCAT test.

I personally have not purchased physics books, but I have heard many great things about TBR physics.

I tried TBR CBT tests before doing AAMC full length tests, and I found the full length tests to be pretty helpful. CBTs can be purchased through online, and even though I think the CBTs were much harder than the actual test & AAMC, I still think it's worth practicing.

Hopefully this helps

Thanks for the reply, sugarmouse!

I'll try to cobble together a study plan and see how it goes, then.

. . . didn't know you could buy Berkeley CBTs, interesting.

Just wondering, I do have aamc 3R-9R and then aamc practice test 10, which is the only one labeled 'CBT.' What's the difference, anyways?

Archived