Premed 101 Forums

Pre-interview rank score

Hi all! I know I've seen the statistical breakdown and spreadsheet somewhere on the forum, but I can't seem to find it again (Yes, I've used the search function - ineffectively evidently :s) !!! I think a possible/the answer to my question is there, but just in case it isn't, here goes:

When you look at the number of interview invites for different classes, they don't seem to be a set percentage of the total number of applicants. Do you know if that means there is a critical sum of the gpa, verbal, and casper formula which guarantees an invite? If so, is it even possible for a good casper performance to counterbalance a 3.2 gpa and 10VR?

I'm so sorry if this is a repeat post/idea, but I hope some of the good minds on this forum would be willing to give some thoughts and advice.

Thanks

Hi all! I know I've seen the statistical breakdown and spreadsheet somewhere on the forum, but I can't seem to find it again (Yes, I've used the search function - ineffectively evidently :s) !!! I think a possible/the answer to my question is there, but just in case it isn't, here goes:

When you look at the number of interview invites for different classes, they don't seem to be a set percentage of the total number of applicants. Do you know if that means there is a critical sum of the gpa, verbal, and casper formula which guarantees an invite? If so, is it even possible for a good casper performance to counterbalance a 3.2 gpa and 10VR?

I'm so sorry if this is a repeat post/idea, but I hope some of the good minds on this forum would be willing to give some thoughts and advice.

Thanks

It's here:

http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=612034#post612034

They interview a set number of people. They have a number in mind so they just rank the applicants using the formula and take the top 543 or whatever it is.

It's always possible to get an interview if you rock CASPer. Just punch your numbers in the spreadsheet and see how far off you'd be from a typical interviewee. You'll likely find that you have to do a little better than most of the applicants.

Hi Lupe, thanks for the excel file

A couple of Q's:

1. How would you add the graduate degree bonus to the final score?

Master's Degree holders: +0.01; PhD Degree holders: +0.04

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/graduate_work.html

2. Do you have any idea how a Masters + PhD would add up, or two Masters (ie. would you get both bonuses?)

That is a really good question; something I never considered to be honest. I would add 1 to your score for a Master's and 4 for a PhD.

I'm really not sure about the second question. Call the admissions office about this (about if you have multiple graduate degrees and whether or not you get extra scores for each degree). But I would imagine they would only consider your highest graduate degree. So only one. But I'm not a 100% sure about this.

Hi Lupe, thanks for the excel file

A couple of Q's:

1. How would you add the graduate degree bonus to the final score?

Master's Degree holders: +0.01; PhD Degree holders: +0.04

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/graduate_work.html

2. Do you have any idea how a Masters + PhD would add up, or two Masters (ie. would you get both bonuses?)

Please keep us posted.

This question is mainly for LupeFiasco, but also anyone else who would like to give their input:

What would you guess is a competitive range for scores calculated by the unofficial Excel spreadsheet?

In other words, it predicts an average of 45.37. Obviously, if someone is below that, they need to perform better than average on CASPer to be selected for interview. But there is also a limit to that (ie. if someone is in the 20's they are not going to be able to make it up by CASPer).

Do you have any guess as to what you can realistically make up by CASPer if you are below the predicted average of 45.37?

This question is mainly for LupeFiasco, but also anyone else who would like to give their input:

What would you guess is a competitive range for scores calculated by the unofficial Excel spreadsheet?

In other words, it predicts an average of 45.37. Obviously, if someone is below that, they need to perform better than average on CASPer to be selected for interview. But there is also a limit to that (ie. if someone is in the 20's they are not going to be able to make it up by CASPer).

Do you have any guess as to what you can realistically make up by CASPer if you are below the predicted average of 45.37?

Honestly, the best way to figure that out what be to go over the Accepted/Rejected thread and take a look at the lowest Verbal and GPA combination you see and enter it in the spreadsheet to figure out what the number out of 50 would be.

I think one of the main things the calculation shows is that pretty much everyone has a solid chance of getting an interview because of CASPer.

Archived