Premed 101 Forums

Dvorak for CASPer

I cannot touch-type using a Qwerty keyboard. I use the Dvorak keyboard layout (so my home row reads aoeui dhtns -- see how many more words you can make with that!), and with it I type very fast. Trying to type qwerty I'm down at about 20 wpm, which already made the MCAT hell. When I write CASPer, I want to use my setup that I'm familar with.

What seems like it might be a catch is the station during the interview process, where they check your typing patterns. Either I'm going to end up typing very slowly and not like myself, so I'll look like a cheat, or I'll type pgvd kjg;w alh ls sld ,gpp ja.d kjd ;pgujkd;k ghda ,jak Gqm kapvglu ansfk (like this, and no one will know what I'm talking about).

Any suggestions? I can't be the only person with this problem, can I?

I cannot touch-type using a Qwerty keyboard. I use the Dvorak keyboard layout (so my home row reads aoeui dhtns -- see how many more words you can make with that!), and with it I type very fast. Trying to type qwerty I'm down at about 20 wpm, which already made the MCAT hell. When I write CASPer, I want to use my setup that I'm familar with.

What seems like it might be a catch is the station during the interview process, where they check your typing patterns. Either I'm going to end up typing very slowly and not like myself, so I'll look like a cheat, or I'll type pgvd kjg;w alh ls sld ,gpp ja.d kjd ;pgujkd;k ghda ,jak Gqm kapvglu ansfk (like this, and no one will know what I'm talking about).

Any suggestions? I can't be the only person with this problem, can I?

Last year they conveniently didn't have a typing station.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived