Premed 101 Forums

Technologist in training looking for Med School options/advice

So here's my situation. Did first degree in Mathematical Physics, had poor GPA even with summer courses (3.36 overall, with some increase from first to fourth year). Started training to be a Nuclear Medicine Technologist last year, which is technically a second degree, have solid GPA (>3.9), but it's a three year non-honours program with only two years of actual coursework (one year of clinical placements), so it can't really fix my GPA. Wrote MCATs, surprised myself with a 41R (14P 12V 15B). Never took any chemistry (organic, biochem or otherwise), so I know 90% of Canadian schools are off the table for me.

I only started looking at Med School as an option late in my first undergrad, and have never really structured my life around that possibility. But, the MCAT score makes me think that I should at least take a shot at applying to the few schools that won't automatically reject me.

I'm basically looking for options. Schools that will at least give me a look whether they're in Canada, the US, or further away. I'd even love to hear of meaningful health care programs besides MD programs - to be honest, I don't know where to start.

I'm also looking for any advice on what could spruce up my chances at getting into one of those small number of program I could consider. I won't do more undergrad work (spent too much time here already), but I'm exploring doing a Master's, debating whether to finish up this technologist program (tech jobs are scarcer than I thought, sadly), and looking into any and all extracurricular activities.

All opinions, suggestions and especially criticisms are very much appreciated.

Is the nuclear med technologist program through a university or a technology institute of some sort? Be aware that many schools will not accept your grades from your technologist program if it's from an institute of technology.

I am no expert for the US, but they absolutely LOVE MCATs like yours. Apply there, and you might be surprised. Check out the US subforum here. macbook's advice is pretty good, too. Are you a resident of anywhere other than ontario?

Awesome MCAT score!! Mac and Western will almost definitely give you an interview (as long as you have satisfied all the other requirements such as EC's, CASPer, etc of course). Mac has taken people with lower GPA's if the other parts of their application are strong. Western needs a GPA > 3.7 but takes your best two full-time years, so you can drop your two lowest.

Depending on what courses you have taken you should also look at UofT. If you've taken a full course load every year they will drop the lowest 8 grades. Also, they need 4 life science classes and 2 humanities. If you've taken any biology, physics, etc in your undergrad, they could count among those 4.

Once again, without knowing what your EC's are and your GPA per year it's hard to tell. But you have a ridiculous, out of this world MCAT, so it's well worth applying to at the very least Mac (and Calgary and Dalhousie as well has no prereqs). I second the applying to the US part too, although most schools have even more prereqs then Canadian schools

Thanks for the responses so far everyone!

Uh, about the grades - the strong marks are scattered pretty much throughout, so even eliminating weak semesters doesn't help me out too much. Western is pretty much an auto-reject, even though I'm from London, since they wouldn't consider my current program to be valid (it's a degree program, through U of T, but not an honours program). I'll check out U of T again though, but I think it's largely the same story (I'm going to hit up their guidance department, see what they say).

US schools look like they're out too - pre-reqs would take me a year at minimum since I have no chem courses at all since high school.

Thank you for pointing me to Dal and Calgary, hadn't considered those yet. Working on the ECs - have spent a year volunteering in a hospital, few other things during my undergrad and am working on some meatier activities this year (research and whatnot). I'm hoping the clinical experiences I have/will get might help, but no idea.

Again, thanks for the responses and for any future insights!

Thanks for the responses so far everyone!

Uh, about the grades - the strong marks are scattered pretty much throughout, so even eliminating weak semesters doesn't help me out too much. Western is pretty much an auto-reject, even though I'm from London, since they wouldn't consider my current program to be valid (it's a degree program, through U of T, but not an honours program). I'll check out U of T again though, but I think it's largely the same story (I'm going to hit up their guidance department, see what they say).

US schools look like they're out too - pre-reqs would take me a year at minimum since I have no chem courses at all since high school.

Thank you for pointing me to Dal and Calgary, hadn't considered those yet. Working on the ECs - have spent a year volunteering in a hospital, few other things during my undergrad and am working on some meatier activities this year (research and whatnot). I'm hoping the clinical experiences I have/will get might help, but no idea.

Again, thanks for the responses and for any future insights!

Ralk, I am in 3rd year of the rad tech stream and I can assure you that our program is indeed honours as long as we maintain an overall gpa of 3.7+. I'm applying to UWO, Queen's, UofT, Mac, and Dal this year.

I think you need to assess your stats with reference to each school and go ahead and apply. If you have any questions, reply here or pm me.

Ralk, I am in 3rd year of the rad tech stream and I can assure you that our program is indeed honours as long as we maintain an overall gpa of 3.7+. I'm applying to UWO, Queen's, UofT, Mac, and Dal this year.

I think you need to assess your stats with reference to each school and go ahead and apply. If you have any questions, reply here or pm me.

Well damn! That would change a lot... I don't think I can thank you enough for this piece of info - and it's great to know I'm not the only one in this position. Good luck in your applications this year and again, thank you!

Well damn! That would change a lot... I don't think I can thank you enough for this piece of info - and it's great to know I'm not the only one in this position. Good luck in your applications this year and again, thank you!

You're very welcome. I have personally checked that our program is ok with Western, Queen's, UofT and Mac.

Here's another tip: since we have placements, UWO told me to tick off the box that says our program is "co-op". When they read our transcript, they said this will make it easier for them.

I just have to say, your GPA and MCAT are beyond killer. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions. You have excellent chances at UWO, Queen's, and Mac.

Go MRS!!!

• 4 months later...

Hi Ruslan,

I'll reply to your PM soon enough (I want to do it justice, which is why the delay), but yes, I have checked to ensure that our program meets the 3/5 rule for Western.

Now, I should be seeing whether all of this is good to go within the next 3 weeks, when UWO sends out interview invites, so I will keep you all posted.

Archived