Premed 101 Forums

So how many places/programs did you apply to?

e_is_hv

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently looking to do neurology, and maybe back up with Internal Medicine. Due to family commitments/personal issues, I can't apply to the spots in Canada for neurology. In total, I would apply to 8 programs.

Do you guys think this enough for Carms? Or would you recommend applying to internal as well to double the number to 16? I know that 90% of people last year matched somewhere in their top 5, but I'm not sure if only applying to 8 is cutting it too close.

Also, is it some sort of taboo to ask a person to write you two reference letters? (i.e. I am considering asking my Internal preceptor from third year to write me a ref letter for neuro and medicine....I'm not even sure if I should ask him for neuro since it's a different speciality).

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

If you've been interested in neurology for a while, have a reasonably strong application, and are liked by the programs that know you, you'll probably do just fine. However, as there are no guarantees in life or CaRMS, you will have to weigh your level of risk tolerance and consider what your plan B would be should you not match - would your next preferred option be internal medicine (in which applying to your favoured locations in the first round would make sense - you don't have to apply to all 8 if you don't wish to) or would you be ok with seeing what is left in the second round?

I did ask a couple of my referees to submit two reference letters for different fields.. however, those referees were from a third, unrelated specialty. You'll have to gauge your referee's level of support for you applying to multiple specialties.. I think most reasonable people would be understanding.

You can always apply, see how many interviews you get, and decide later whether or not you rank them.

I was also geographically limited. Applied to 2 disciplines at I don't remember how many locations...couldn't be more than 6. Accepted interviews at 4 places and ranked only 1 discipline in the end. Just decided my backup wasn't really "me" and would rather have gone unmatched.

I was ok with this, my school not so much - which is how I ended up with a back up in the first place.

Just be sure to not rank places you wouldn't actually go! To me matching somewhere that isn't reasonably going to work out, is worse than going unmatched. (some might disagree)

And chances are you will match to neurology, especially if you are flexible enough that you are considering 8 places.

Archived