Premed 101 Forums

*Volunteering and extra-currics

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Paul

Date:***8/24/2000 2:50 pm*PST

As of now I have no volunteer experience. I was wondering if doctor shadowing programs are sufficient, how long should you do them, should you get a letter of recommendation from them, and how are there special hospitals that participate in this or do you just have to call up each hospital? I am really not sure what to do and I need your guys help. Also when you get a letter of recommendation from someone before you even start the application process is this a smart thing to do? And if so does the person just make multiple copies and you give them envelopes where they can stick them in for your future use when you need to use them? When they ask you about extra curricular activities how can you show them you belong to clubs and committees associated with the college and off the college or is there any way to prove this on the application process? Finally when you have to do secondary essays what should you say differently from the first ones and how important are both of these essays into getting into med school? Sorry for all the questions but these are questions I haven't heard from anyone and I really need to have some support on what to do. THanks to anyone who responds.

P.S love the site even though I am a american pre-med.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong

Date:***8/25/2000 5:31 pm*PST

Paul wrote:

-------------------------------

As of now I have no volunteer experience. I was wondering if doctor shadowing programs are sufficient, how long should you do them, should you get a letter of recommendation from them, and how are there special hospitals that participate in this or do you just have to call up each hospital? I am really not sure what to do and I need your guys help. Also when you get a letter of recommendation from someone before you even start the application process is this a smart thing to do? And if so does the person just make multiple copies and you give them envelopes where they can stick them in for your future use when you need to use them? When they ask you about extra curricular activities how can you show them you belong to clubs and committees associated with the college and off the college or is there any way to prove this on the application process? Finally when you have to do secondary essays what should you say differently from the first ones and how important are both of these essays into getting into med school?

One point at a time:

- Doctor shadowing programs are a great idea, and if you get to know the doctor well, and he/she is willing to write you a good letter, than by all means go for it.

- Each hospital, and each doctor probably works according to their own rules. You should just call and ask.

- In Canada, the reference letters have to be in at the time of application, so yes. In the States, as long as you know which schools you'll be applying to, you could probably ask your referees to start preparing letters; they can just switch the addresses, and any references inside the letter to the appropriate medical school. You'll need them at some point, so you might as well get them early inside of cutting it down to the wire like the rest of us.

- You mention the extra-curricular activities in the AMCAS form, and probably in the secondaries form. They'll most likely ask you questions during the interview, and it's unlikely, but certainly not impossible, that they'll call the people involved. Read: DON'T LIE ON YOUR APPLICATION!

- Essays will probably have some influence on whether you get in. However, different schools use different criteria, so it's impossible to say how important they are. Some schools don't even look at them if your grades/MCAT aren't high enough for an interview. Other schools may use them, along with reference letters, to help determine whether you get that interview.

- The secondaries essays will probably be on more specific topics. If not, I would recommend hitting the major points in the AMCAS essay, and maybe custom-tailoring the essay to the type of medical school. ie. if they are looking for more mature students, make sure to put in references to travelling, working, other education, etc.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Paul

Date:***8/28/2000 8:52 am*PST

So basically, for example, now I can find out all the medical school names and addresses of all the schools I want to apply to so when the time comes that I need them (a year from now or so) I can just show the list to the referees and get them early? Also since I might be getting them a few months earlier then I send the application do you recommend having the referees give back the recommendations to me in a sealed envelope or will that look funny to them unless I explain to them whats going on? On your application what should you do if they tell you to list your academic acheivements but can't think of any even if you are a really good student? Also how many hours do you recommend spending on the MCAT I hear you say 3 to 4 months and for me that translates to about 70 to 120 hours is that enough probably?

Archived