Premed 101 Forums

*Joining university clubs

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Paul

Date:***9/6/2000 5:33 pm*PST

I was wondering if it is adequate to join 2 or 3 of school clubs and organizations maybe like a premed one, religious and maybe some other along with volunteering somewhere as overall extracurricular activity? and when you do is there much to offer in these school clubs that you can do to show the admissions committee, like is there any interactivity and leadership usually available in these clubs that make them significant? and do these clubs usually have a head person available to tell med schools, if they were to call them,how long you been a member and the stuff you did in the club? Also should I be active in 2 or 3 clubs for all 3 years before my application or is it that big of a deal to the admissions committee?

As for a job, do med schools call the manager or place of employment if you tell them a job you have had?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***9/7/2000 9:37 pm*PST

This is a loaded question, so I'm not really going to answer your questions in the way you've phrased them.

Simply put, joining clubs is a great way to meet people, and expand your interests. It almost doesn't matter as to the type of club; you're guaranteed to learn something new. Don't spread yourself too thin, as you need to do well in school and the MCAT. If you can gain a leadership role, and you are genuinely interested in it as such, by all means go for it. As for the med schools verifying what you say on the application, if you don't lie, you'll always be in the clear. I'm not implying that you were thinking along those lines, but it's something to be definite about.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***10/9/2000 4:26 pm*PST

Iam an officer in a club called the hunger network. I was wondering if this is sufficient as extracurricular activities for this semester since I think this club is more important and they do more things then 99 percent of the "social" or "passive membership" type clubs. Because of schedule conflict I won't be able to be a member every year so will the admissions committee look down on me and think I need more or do you think this is sufficient? Should I bring that aspect up about how most of the clubs are just passive membership or social clubs and that I had schedule conflicts sometimes???? Keep in mind I might become a hired tutor at the school but I don't know for sure and if it does happen do you think if I do this every semester along with being active in hunger network at least one semester a year will this be enough or is the admissions committee really care that much about how many clubs you are a part of or if you are in them every semester or if your a tutor just as long as you did something like tutoring and being in a good club at least sometimes? It seems to me that the whole volunteer aspect would be much more important which is something completely off from this and that as long as you do some extracurricular activity there is probably no real difference between you and someone who did a whole bunch, especially if you become a tutor where you learn how to help people out which takes much patience, right? I would really like your guys help because I don't want to spend too much time doing extracurricular activities if its a waste of time, I would rather spend it in USEFUL clubs and maybe being a tutor if that becomes a reality.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*moo, UG3

Date:***10/9/2000 5:01 pm*PST

Well, I'm a math tutor, and I'm in a couple clubs... I wouldn't really mention the clubs thing on apps though, unless I was on the exec or something. I make a really big point about being a math tutor though, simply because I truly enjoy it, and it's something I'm proud of.

If I were you, I'd join some clubs, but not for the sake of joining one... do it because you enjoy it! You should have fun in college!

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***10/10/2000 3:30 pm*PST

So most people don't mention all the clubs they have been in unless they were an officer? Do you bring up all the clubs in your application? Do you think they might ask about clubs in an interview or do you think that is the least from their minds?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*moo, UG3

Date:***10/10/2000 3:51 pm*PST

Well, the thing is, the application to University of Ottawa (only school I'm applying to this year cuz they don't require the MCAT) doesn't have that much room, so I don't have enough space to put down everything I've been involved with. I figure I can elaborate about my roles in a couple of the clubs I joined on the interview... like I joined certain clubs to go to dances or parties, but I never was on the exec or anything like that. If there's more space I'd definitely mention it, but since that's a small part of my life, and I have other extra curriculars to put down that I think will impress adcoms more I would leave it out.

Archived