Premed 101 Forums

Cutoff GPA Stats

Would someone be able to clarify for me if the cutoff stats for the Ontario physiotherapy schools are absolute?

For example... if they say 3.68 was the min cutoff - could there be any chance of someone with a slightly lower average gaining acceptance due to movement within the wait list, or for their supplementary apps (ie personal statement if req or ref letters?)

I will admit that my Gpa is slightly lower than more of the cutoff avgs for Ontario PT schools this year - however I am doing extra courses now to increase. It will also be my second time applying.

Would anyone know of personal stories where students were more successful the second round despite huge GPA increases? (It is very difficult to drastically change your GPA in one year I find... depending on your circumstances...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not too sure about PT (I'm an OT applicant) but the general consensus that I've found on here is:

1) The cut-offs can vary from year to year because it's based on applicant pool

2) Some schools take more than your GPA into consideration and weigh GPA/extracurriculuars differently

3) Many universities state their minimum requirements

So for example, if the university has a minimum requirement of 3.3 GPA on x number of courses in the x number of years, then that's set in stone and they won't look at you if you don't meet that requirements.

However, the competitive average may be quite different. So at some schools it will be higher (such as in Ontario and a few others). If they only have enough room for say, 60 students in a program, they may set a minimum cut off because 300 applicants received a GPA of 3.7 or higher.

So as far as I know, the cut-off is not set in stone each year - it varies because of applicants. But the cut-off probably isn't going to change significantly anytime soon. And how your GPA affects you will vary from school to school. Some schools look at everything (ie: volunteer experience, GPA, references) and will weigh them differently, so a GPA that's a bit lower might still get you in. However, some schools only look at GPA and that's where you might have some difficulty.

Anyone who is in PT and knows how it goes please feel free to correct me, that's just what I've heard/how I understand it.

Would someone be able to clarify for me if the cutoff stats for the Ontario physiotherapy schools are absolute?

For example... if they say 3.68 was the min cutoff - could there be any chance of someone with a slightly lower average gaining acceptance due to movement within the wait list, or for their supplementary apps (ie personal statement if req or ref letters?)

I will admit that my Gpa is slightly lower than more of the cutoff avgs for Ontario PT schools this year - however I am doing extra courses now to increase. It will also be my second time applying.

Would anyone know of personal stories where students were more successful the second round despite huge GPA increases? (It is very difficult to drastically change your GPA in one year I find... depending on your circumstances...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

McMaster -- has a cutoff for MMI invites. This year, it was 3.70 and I believe 300 MMI invites are sent out. People with GPAs just below the cutoff were put on the waiting list for the interviews in case someone chose not to show up for the MMI. Those who interviewed the best at the MMIs received offers of admission (GPA doesn't matter once you get to this stage).

Toronto -- has a cutoff for the CAP exam invites. I think it was also around 3.70 this year and I think 340 CAP invites were sent out. Offers of admission were granted to students whose applications came out on top with 60% of the emphasis on GPA and 40% of it on the CAP results.

Western -- went purely on GPA. Cutoffs for receiving an offer of admission were around 3.79.

Queen's -- has a cutoff of around 3.40 but it's probably the one that places heavy emphasis on extra-curricular activities. You could get in with a 3.40 but like Mac and Toronto, a good mix of grades and experience is needed. Realistically, the GPA to get in here is closer to 3.70 than 3.40.

All universities have a waiting list in case original offers of admission are declined.

Archived