Premed 101 Forums

Any other option other than 2nd degree?

Hi everyone,

I just signed up to hopefully get some advice and insight about my particular predicament here. I graduated with a low 2.7cgpa in health sciences and have already completed most of the pre-reqs - some of which I did poorly in (first and second year ones) and others where I did okay, but obviously not good enough to be competitive. To keep this short, it was really due to not being motivated enough and really immature early on. I just worked a lot and cruised through my degree. I actually gave up on med during one semester, but the more I tried not to think about pursuing it, the more I did think about it. In the end, I still want to pursue med.

I actually only have one full year where I got straight A's and a few B+'s with a 5 course work load for 2 semesters. Unfortunately, they were in health science courses, most of which were upper division courses. I just wanted to point this out as maybe I could use this one year as part of the two best years for some schools. In all honesty, I don't think this actually helps my case at all really as more of them consider the last two years.

I can't do grad school as my gpa isn't good enough. I can't do an SMP or a post-baccalaureate program in the states for the same reason. After reading the stickies, the only thing I think I can do is a 2nd degree and give it my all the second time around. But this is all I know and I'm going for it unless anyone knows any other options? If anyone has taken this route or currently taking this route, can you please give me some advice? I know some of the responses will be brutal and harsh, but I don't mind. I understand I've made mistakes and know where I stand...relatively. I just need some help.

Thanks in advance!

I dont know any other way ... get registered ... kick it up 10 gears ... avoid the bars, the opposite sex as best as possible :) and get that 3.9 GPA you need!! Sometimes there are no subsitutes to consistent hard work over long periods of time to get into medicine.

Beef

2nd degree is probably the best option. remember to take full courseload in each year in your 2nd degree.

2nd degree is your only option, no matter how well you did in grad school (if you got in somewhere) with a 2.7 undergrad no one will ever even read your ap. GL

Thanks for responses guys. Really helpful getting confirmation from people like you.

I don't think I'm going to work this time around and just focus on making the grades. Does anyone know if I can start applying before I finish my second degree? Say maybe after one year of full course work load (5) each term?

Thanks for responses guys. Really helpful getting confirmation from people like you.

I don't think I'm going to work this time around and just focus on making the grades. Does anyone know if I can start applying before I finish my second degree? Say maybe after one year of full course work load (5) each term?

Take a look at the sticky about the different schools' second degree policies. There are a few that will take that one year of the second degree only (NOSM for sure, I think Dal as well) though there may be stipulations on finishing the second year with comparable marks (that's NOSM's policy, again not sure about the others).

Take a look at the sticky about the different schools' second degree policies. There are a few that will take that one year of the second degree only (NOSM for sure, I think Dal as well) though there may be stipulations on finishing the second year with comparable marks (that's NOSM's policy, again not sure about the others).

Alright thanks for your help. I'm going to email these medical schools. It seems for out of province, it's a lot more difficult but I'm aiming for a gpa higher than 3.7 anyway.

well... there's the Caribbean.. I knew a guy with a 2.2 cgpa and 29 MCAT that went there.. ROSS, and is on rotations now.

That is always an option, but keep in mind there are risks with going to the Caribbean, notably how competitive it is to get residency spots back home. A couple of my friends that went to the carribean couldn't get a residency spot back here just due to the sheer competitiveness of the few spots that are left for IMG's. That being said though, they're happy to practice in the states, which some of them are doing.

Archived