Premed 101 Forums

No idea who to ask for a letter....

e_is_hv

Hi everyone,

So I find myself in a bit of an odd situation. I'm doing a month long neurology rotation now (my team is responsible for both in patients/wards and consults), but the teaching hospital I'm at has a new attending EACH week. I found the face time with them is minimal, and of course, each week there's a new one. I've worked hard, but I feel like the only person who appreciates that growth over the month is my senior resident, who has been constant.

Does anyone have any suggestions here? I could just randomly choose 1 of the 4 staff, and ask them to talk to the senior resident and other attendings, but I'm VERY concerned about a luke warm letter.

I suppose I could also ask the "administrator" staff for the elective, but I've only met him 4 times, though I suppose, since he has to input my evaluations, that he'd have talked to all 4 attendings, but I've never actually had any clinical time with him.

This is really stressing me out - any thoughts out there?

How will you receive your final evaluation for this rotation - is there someone who will collate the individual evaluations, or speak to everyone who worked with you in order to write up your final assessment? I might start there - tell them you are hoping for a letter of reference, make a list of all the anecdotes and accomplishments that support your case, and refer them to the people who can verify them.

If you did do well and make a good impression on the people you worked with, I don't think your letter will be lukewarm.. perhaps a bit generic. However, it would be balanced by the fact that multiple observers concur about your performance.

Is this a home school or an away elective? One other strategy is to set up more one-on-one time with one of the attendings later on to boost your time with them.

Archived