Premed 101 Forums

*What qualifies for an outright rejection?

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***1/14/2001 9:53 pm*PST

Just moving a post onto its own subject line. Ian

Jase wrote:

:What will qualify us for an outright rejection letter? :just curious

:Thanks

Each med school uses different criteria to reject applicants, but due to the way offices in general tend to work, there are some similarities.

Med schools will wait an appropriate time after their set deadline in order to ensure that all outstanding applications are complete. Incomplete applications may or may not be trashed on the spot, depending on whether there is a valid reason.

All completed applications are then scanned for meeting the various cutoffs. Most often, these are GPA and MCAT related. Once all of these sub-threshold applications have been processed, the med school will then do a mass mailout sending the outright rejection letters. It's a logistic nightmare to reject people as you read through applications (ie. What if you send out a rejection letter and later discover that the cut-offs have been lowered?). Therefore, the med school saves up all the sub-threshold applications until they are satisfied with this pile, and then send them out at once.

Therefore, chances are good that you won't be receiving a rejection letter in the next couple weeks, but will rather have to suffer and drag it out, which is the middle name of the med school application process!

The bottom line still is that no news is good news. You can't be rejected until they contact you. :)

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*heather

Date:***1/15/2001 11:15 am*PST

I got my rejection letter in May. So I'm sure that you have a couple of months to hear from them. In fact, I e-mailed them and that's how I found out... they should do it sooner...

Archived