Premed 101 Forums

Importance of Elective in Program?

How important does having done an elective in a specific program/school end up being during CARMS. Specifically I want to do family medicine, and my wife and I are considering whether we would want to move to Vancouver for my residency, which of course is more competitive than most programs. Problem is due to family situation (ie children, wife's school and business) it would be be a huge hassle to travel during my elective times. Not impossible but if it ends up being not too important I would rather not.

Any advice is appreciated!

Depends on the specific program - perhaps someone more familiar with UBC FM can chime in. I also wonder what the program would say if you contacted them directly, emphasizing your reasons for wanting to be in Vancouver, the transient nature of these hassles, and your availability for interviews and relocation. According to their website, "Candidates who have not been able to arrange Family Medicine electives prior to the CaRMS match will not be adversely affected in our ranking process," but I have also heard it is competitive.

Archived