Premed 101 Forums

Second Degree

Hi Everybody,

From previous posts - I have learned and decided that a second degree is mandatory for myself.

I am planning on taking a BSc - Food Nutrition & Health at UBC - beginning most likely in May or Sept 2012.

I just want to be sure that I am not putting my eggs in one basket by doing so. What does an equivalent (to an honors degree - Western demands this).

Cheers.

If you can, start in September. A lot of schools favor (if not demand) a September-April school year.

An honors degree, is usually one that goes by the H.BSc. program code. It's generally unclear what differentiates a BSc from a HBSc (at UofT the difference is based on gpa), but that's all I can clarify to the best of my knowledge. Ask the department whether what you're taking is an Honors degree or equivalent, they usually know (unless some of the members here know the answer to that)

Hi Everybody,

From previous posts - I have learned and decided that a second degree is mandatory for myself.

I am planning on taking a BSc - Food Nutrition & Health at UBC - beginning most likely in May or Sept 2012.

I just want to be sure that I am not putting my eggs in one basket by doing so. What does an equivalent (to an honors degree - Western demands this).

Cheers.

Good for you! My second degree is in Food an Nutrition which eventually led me to becoming a dietitian, now working in diabetes education and having my own consulting business on the side. Make sure you start RIGHT AWAY looking to see how to secure a dietetic internship so that you can qualify as a dietitian (undergrad in nutrition + internship). As a motivated premed you should already have medically related volunteering, higher marks, extracurriculars so you are well set up to get an internship if you strongly pursue your aspirations of medicine. You will need to perhaps due a bit of shadowing of a dietitian and so on to show some interest in dietetics however.

Good luck. Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, I have served as a dietetic preceptor for three years (or four?) for the dietetic internship program up here ... that is that I have taken interns on 4 week placements at my organization to expose them to rural/remote dietetic practice.

Beef

Archived