Premed 101 Forums

Intimidated by Research Professors

happy_happy

Hi

So I am interested in volunteering for a particular research, but I am intimidated to approach that professor. He teaches medicine and is also a renowned professor and surgeon, and I don't think he is willing to take in any undergrad, inexperienced (At all) volunteer into his research lab.

Is there any point of me contacting him, and if I do, I should I approach him. Via e-mail? How to write and format e-mail?HELP

Hi

So I am interested in volunteering for a particular research, but I am intimidated to approach that professor. He teaches medicine and is also a renowned professor and surgeon, and I don't think he is willing to take in any undergrad, inexperienced (At all) volunteer into his research lab.

Is there any point of me contacting him, and if I do, I should I approach him. Via e-mail? How to write and format e-mail?HELP

I thought that there was no way in hell I would get my research position. I applied to work with a physician, and thought for sure I would be rejected. But I went for it, and was hired! One of the main reasons being the enthusiasm I showed towards the research. And, of course my previous research experience and skills I've acquired through my undergrad.

I would most definitely attempt to contact that professor. And, if you need a hand in writing the initial email, I would gladly help. I'm just a PM away! I often find that email can be better than a simple phone call. Why? Because the phone call may go through a secondary source. And, the email would be directly sent to the professor you want to talk to.

In the email, I would highlight:

- Your interest in the research

- Your previous research experiences

- Your qualifications

- Convey any future goals in research (e.g., it would be a good idea to write down if you are interested in pursuing research in the future, for instance in a masters degree or through medical school)

It's rare, but sometimes the professor who you contact may see all of the qualifications you have and then decide to find a place for you in their lab. Being direct is the best way to go about this, IMO.

:)

Advice above is great :)!

Believe in yourself - you're a valuable resource and free labour if you're volunteering. You'll have a lot to learn but be confident about your work ethic and abilities.

You might not get it but it never hurts to try!

I got my research position by e-mailing professors. Since I didn't know my supervisor before I started researching, I thought it would be odd to just pop up randomly at her office. I just asked her if I could possilbly meet her in person to learn more .. and I went from there.

If you don't believe that you are intelligent and capable, then no one does either. I also had a research prof who was quite renowned in the field, was a director of an institute and had many pubs in Nature and Science. I was scared too. But, if you work hard and do your job, those profs will recognize you and your accomplishments. Don't worry about talking to profs. Worry about doing you job right. Good luck :)

Cerena said it best. The worst that can happen is that he/she says no or doesn't reply to your email. From that you contact another professor whose research you find interesting. I contacted about 35 professors before being offered a position.

Merci! And wow, you were so persistent!

So I took everyone' advice and sent out e-mail to 3 prof. I explained that I have absolutely NO research experience, but am willing to volunteer to get to know how research is done. One prof replied back and I am beginning this FRIDAY!!!!

She also told me she needed a summer student, so I guess I will be volunteering till then! EXCITED!!!

So I took everyone' advice and sent out e-mail to 3 prof. I explained that I have absolutely NO research experience, but am willing to volunteer to get to know how research is done. One prof replied back and I am beginning this FRIDAY!!!!

She also told me she needed a summer student, so I guess I will be volunteering till then! EXCITED!!!

E-mailing does work :)

Great job!!!

happy happy :)

Merci! And wow, you were so persistent!

I was in a co-op program, and was struggling to find a placement. It was very important that I got that placement, otherwise I would have lost co-op status.

That's awesome! I bet you're excited about this opportunity, and the prospect of working there during the summer. I know I was when I got my first lab job.

Archived