Premed 101 Forums

obese women denied IVF?

smile101

Obesity is a major problem. If it is a risk factor for the process of having a baby, I don't think they should BAN it since they don't ban smoking mothers but warn them and suggest the risks of them having a child.

I am aware that genetic factors contribute to some people being more 'bigger' than others but allowing yourself to be susceptible to future health-risks by not living an active and healthy lifestyle and expecting to raise a child doesn't seem right to me. This goes for all the negative actions afflicting health.

Overweight individuals that can control this issue SHOULD do something about resolving it. For their own sake.

I'm of the opinion that, in general, severe obesity should be handled like severe alcoholism, smoking, and drug use should* be: that is, it should be treated as a disease and handled accordingly, but given the sensitivity and understanding due a serious lifestyle/addiction issue that cannot be overcome simply with medical advice. Yes, it is lifestyle choices that lead people to becoming obese, but simply telling them that is not going to change their habits. Further, my understanding of the signalling pathways and hormones involved has led me to feel that being obese is legitimately an addiction: once you're that heavy-duty, your body legitimately feeds back to keep you that heavy. It's no longer such a basic choice.

In context of IVF, the regulations should be the same for obesity as for any other semivoluntary risk factor. If alcoholic or smoking women are allowed IVF, then obese women should be too; the corollary is also true. I'd consider going so far as to apply this rule to things like liver transplants due to NAFLD and such.

*Note I say how alcoholism/smoking/etc should be handled. I realise they are not always handled as they should be.

Archived