Premed 101 Forums

Need some help/thoughts

aaronjw

Hey all, I'll try to be brief lol

Signed up for a course during registration which seemed very interesting to me. It's a gen ed course which I need as I did not apply for any transfer credits from X years ago (to ensure I maintain full year course loads).

Turns out the course is NOTHING what the description was. The course was meant to be about Ontario in the 1990's from an industry, economic and political standpoint. It has turned out to be a history lesson on Ontario dating back to the 1800's, discussion about Indians, farming, etc, etc, etc. NOTHING remotely resembling the 1990's.

I have ZERO interest in it. Had it turned out to be about the 1990's then I'd be all giddy but it's not and my level of desire for the class and where it's headed is causing me frustration.

It's been a while since I was in school and frankly I don't recall having a problem like this when I was in school. Where does one go to address the issue because I can't figure it out? Advisor???

For anyone who goes to York, if you know directly whom I should be speaking with to address this issue I would be very happy :)

Next problem is, its a 6 credit course. I can drop it and take something else (if it fits within my calendar) for this semester but am I'd be getting into class with 4 weeks already in the books which is a problem as now I'm playing catch up. Or, I can try to find something in the winter semester so that I can have a full year of courses.

Any thoughts on how others might handle it?

Thanks!

This far into the term, I wouldn't drop the course. It really depends on your long term goals for med. I never dropped a course in order to remain eligible for UofT's Weighing and UWO's 5.0 FCE per year requirements.

If it's absolutely, unbearably boring then I suggest you discuss with the Registrar's office about drop dates, financial penalties of dropping etc...

Overloading with 6 courses in the Winter can also be hard.

I dropped the course. If it was somewhat close to what I thought I was signing up for then I would have stuck it out but I just couldn't do it.

Picked up a Human Development course instead which is a year long course so the fact I am coming a few weeks late to the party shouldn't affect me TOO much. I'm also squared away with ensuring I have a full course load for the year.

Talked to the prof and he seems like a good guy and so do the ratings on ratemyprof lol

Archived