Premed 101 Forums

Optometry

Guest Euphoria

Guest Euphoria

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew any school aside from Waterloo which offers a fairly good optometry program? I heard the University of Berkley also has a pretty reasonable one as well. Also, I was looking at the prerequesites for optometry at Waterloo n noted that statistics was required. I heard this course is pretty brutal..n wonder if anybody knows how hard it really is n its use in optometry school. Any info you have will be greatly appreciated.

Guest Ian Wong

I doubt stats comes much into play in optometry. It doesn't really in medicine, although it should as a good knowledge of statistics is vital in trying to interpret research papers/controlled trials etc. However, med school, and I suspect optometry school, are too busy teaching you about the nuts and bolts of the profession itself, rather than spend the additional time to re-visit in depth your pre-req courses.

We got a small amount of review of stats in med school in the first year, but it was nothing compared to what I had to do in undergrad. Regardless, being good at statistics can only help you if you decide on a health care profession.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived