Premed 101 Forums

the great fear

Guest JIMBO

Guest UWOMED2005

I went through the same thing last year - it's only natural considering the stories of "how many people apply" and seeing people posting on these boards worried about not getting in with 3.9 odd gpas and 11s across the board on the MCAT. Try and relax, do as well on any interviews you get and wait until May 31st before panicking.

Don't panic - as long as you have the minimums to get an interview, you have a shot at getting in. Yes, you might not get in this year, but if that is the case you certainly wouldn't be the first person to apply more than once (including a number of people in our class!) Have confidence in your abilities, have a good interview, and for many schools you have as good a shot as the applicant with the amazing gpas or 'Mother Teresa'esque volunteer experience.

Good luck and hopefully we'll see you around these halls come interview time.

UWOMED2005

UWOMED2005

Thanks for your encouragement. =)

This is actually my second time in applying, and so I already have the experience from last year. However, I really don't know what it will take for me to get in. Somehow, after last year's interview experiences, I feel that I may be lacking in key life experience areas. It's rather difficult to make that up at this point in the application process. Don't get me wrong. I've done tons of hospital volunteer and know for certain that I'd like to pursue a medical career. I've also expanded to other areas such as the arts and sports, but not to the level where people would consider it as a great accomplishment. I really don't know how to sell myself quite simply. Any advice?

Guest UWOMED2005

Hey Jimbo - let me repeat what you said to me: "but not to the level where people would consider it as a great accomplishment"

I'm not an expert on applying or interviewing or anything. I'm just a guy who made it through the application process once and was lucky enough to get in somewhere.

But what I will tell you is that I had two interviews and took two approaches. With the first, I took what I thought was the "humble" approach but I now also recognize could also be interpreted as a "glass-half-empty" approach. In other words, I played down my accomplishments. In the second, I used the "glass-half-full" approach and played up what I had done (but note that I did NOT lie about doing anything I hadn't done - that's not a good move.) Guess which school mailed me an acceptance letter.

When applying to medical school, it's sometimes hard to look past all the great accomplishments some of the people around you have made. Just don't forget the accomplishments you yourself have made. Yes, here at Western we have a guy who was drafted by the OHL. You know what, we have another 117 students who weren't. We also have a guy who completed a PhD. Once again, 117 didn't. We have a number (approx 5-10) students who were varsity athletes. The vast majority of students weren't. We have another guy who was chair of his student union. Once again, most students here weren't. I could go on and on, but I hope you catch my drift. If you have hospital volunteer experience and a number of other extracurriculars, you are as good an applicant (from that standpoint) as many med students I know who were accepted here and at other schools.

Once again, I'm not an expert, but I'd see if you can find someone who knows a good interview to help you practice. Medical school interviews are interviews after all. And good luck!

Archived