Premed 101 Forums

where to put volunteering?

Guest DancingDoc

Guest DancingDoc

Hello,

Just wondering whether I should put my volunteer experiences under employment history or extra curricular? I have a feeling they intended it to be considered extra curricular because that is where they list community involvement. However, I have been lucky enough to not require paid jobs for financial reasons. I have had a few jobs, mainly summer jobs, but during academic terms I have done volunteering instead. So my volunteering is comparable to work experience for me. What should I do!?!

Any comments would be great!!

Thanks,

Jen

Hi Jen,

I'm in the same situation you are. I listed my employment history since high school (including summers) and it wasn't very much. It gives you the option of explaining if you feel your employment history has been limited and that's where I explained my situation. Although, I was surprised to find that they limit entries for extracurricular activities to only 12!

Madz

P.S. Just wondering, are you from Moncton? I know a Jen from there who is also a dancer and is VERY motivated to go into medicine. (I'm assuming you're a dancer from your username)

Guest clinicalchief

I will suggest that you list paid work in the employment history section, and place unpaid work in the extracurricular section. The committee will understand a minimal employment history if you have alot of ECs - they want you to have experience, no matter if it is paid or not (even though it is a good bonus for you! ;) ) and your experience will come through if you make it clear in your app.

Make sure to include your summer jobs, even if they were ONLY for the summer.

If your ECs were during school, make sure you emphasize that too - they want to see that you can handle outside activites while you are in school.

Good Luck

cc

Med I, MUN

Archived