Premed 101 Forums

How do you concentrate?

I have a midterm early this week ( not much time left) but I can't seem to concentrate. I sit down and my book is open, but its just nothing goes in my head. I guess I'm just not interested in some of the material for this midterm. On the other hand, the things that I am interested in, I've finished studying and just need to review and have a much easier time remembering. Any advise on how to focus?

I have a midterm early this week ( not much time left) but I can't seem to concentrate. I sit down and my book is open, but its just nothing goes in my head. I guess I'm just not interested in some of the material for this midterm. On the other hand, the things that I am interested in, I've finished studying and just need to review and have a much easier time remembering. Any advise on how to focus?

try reading out the book instead of just looking at it.

My best tactic is to

a) think of a photo I saw of a girl in the Congo (seen in a Macleans article I saw) in who had been raped by ten men when her village was attacked by rebels. She required intensive therapy and medical care to move past it. This is my inspiration because suffering like that is why I want to go into med. It's extremely visual and violent but it's inspiration to me to bust my ass because no matter how much I hate studying sometimes, remembering why I'm doing this gets me back to the books. You could think of a picture of a doctor doing whatever it is you want to do, and keep it in your mind. Then

B) watch crap like this to remind me where I'm headed!-

:D and

c) I have a friend who's already be through med school and one day, when I was complaining about my pre-readings for my class, she said "The thing about university is that doing all the pre-readings and readings are not necessarily about getting all the information it says. It's about proving that you're dedicated enough to your program to read a bunch of stuff you really don't want to read." This can be taken the wrong way by some people but for me it helps me push through it hehe :P

What I find works for me is, once I finish reading a paragraph, to try and paraphrase the main points in my head and write them down. I think that if you're actively summarizing the material the readings become less tedious and you feel more motivated to finish them. This way you extract as much info as possible from the text and you won't have to read it again (just reread the notes). It's never too late to take good notes (I once did it 2-3 days before a

test :).

Finding someone to study with is a good idea once youre pretty familiar with the material. It's a good way to test your understanding and fill in any small gaps in your knowledge.

Good luck with studying and with the midterm!

Archived